VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Van Packing List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, I've searched and found nothing, can anyone link me to a suggested packing list for a van about to hit the road?  

I imagine some of you experienced folks have a pretty good idea what is needed.  I've been looking at my tent camping list and I'm guessing it's similar, but there must be some things I'm missing that are more specific to van dwelling.

(my wife asked me about this last night, so progress on that front!)
Use the tent camping list...you'll have everything you  need for a camping trip.

That is, if it's for a front country camping trip...if it's for backpacking, interior backcountry then no, it's way different.

The only thing you don't need off the tent camping list is the tent! And maybe you should pack it anyways because if you get all the stuff in to the van that you need, you end up with no place to sleep. The tent is most often used for storage space until you get the interior of the van organized and it has storage compartments!
I'm kinda interested in what tools people bring. Not as much tools to repair the vehicle, but things like shovels, rakes, chainsaw, rope, chain, tarps, rebar stakes, etc.

[Image: lurker.gif]
That is what we were thinking, and if we go with a low top van (most likely scenario since it has to double as our daily driver and we have carport height issues) we'd use the 6' tall tent as the potty room.

Anything else van-specific? It occurred to me today that we might need something better than the little whisk broom we use in the tent.
Nope, the little whisk works just fine...if you don't have a really high top, you can't stand up to sweep anyways and the broom is too long/tall. You're forever hitting the walls and it doesn't pack nice. 

As to Putts questions - some carry all of the above, some carry none.

I carry a fold up shovel, no rake nor chainsaw. I do have my small hatchet and my backcountry camp saw for cutting firewood.

Last winter I bought 3 adjustable height tent/awning poles and have been known to engineer an awning over the side doors with them and a couple of hanks of paracord. My usual collection of rebar stakes was loaned out a few times for staking out other peoples tents in high wind conditions.

The one thing that you might want to add to the packing list is some kind of boards for leveling the van. Not all campsites are flat enough and those with trailers/full scale RVs don't care because they all have levelling jacks. It's a PITA when you can't choose where to park because you have to put the van where you can get it level enough to sleep.
AT - I started adding some things to my list, dang there's going to a lot of crap in the van!! Really need to pare it down a bit, but keep the essentials. I'd totally forgotten about a folding shovel and saw!
Don't pack as if you're going out for the rest of your life. Don't even pack like you're going out for a year. Pack as if you're going out for only a week during the summer. Then add what you'd need if you were going out for only a week in winter. That should pretty much cover everything. Wink
(06-09-2017, 11:56 AM)MrNoodly Wrote: [ -> ]Don't pack as if you're going out for the rest of your life. Don't even pack like you're going out for a year. Pack as if you're going out for only a week during the summer. Then add what you'd need if you were going out for only a week in winter. That should pretty much cover everything. Wink

You and I share a packing philosophy. Big Grin I could pack for a month long trip to Europe in a small gym bag... my honey (even though she is literally half my size) would require a couple of massive suitcases.  

So my plan is, let her overpack all she wants, then not say a word as the van (or our current truck) gets packed to the gills, and then try not to laugh out loud as this slowly dawns on her.  She'll come around after the first trip. Tongue
Mike Wendland from www.roadtreking.com put out a downloadable packing list for a small class b motorhome a couple years ago; could be a good place to start ...
Pages: 1 2 3 4