VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: What's the best way to insulate inside the vans ribs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Great Stuff absorbs water.

Roxul has concerns about tiny particles being imbedded in one's lungs.

Thinsulate is super expensive and hard to find.

Other ideas?
Foam beads?

Of course you'd have to tape up the holes.
Whatever you do don't do what the PO of my van did!

He stuffed pink insulation into every nook and cranny in this van including filling all the ribs. It took me hours to remove the damn stuff with a knitting needle and hemostats. It served no insulation purpose at all since it was packed in there very tightly.

IMO, there is no point in fussing over trying to get insulation in the ribs. Think of them like studs in a house! There is no such thing as a 100% insulation and with the small interior of a van as compared to a house you're going to be exchanging the air almost completely each time the doors are opened.

If you're really intent on additional insulation then probably the best way is to insulate OVER the ribs but then you're losing interior space as opposed to insulating the cavities between ribs and putting the finishing cover flush to the ribs.
Use polyiso panels in the non rib areas, then use foil tape over the ribs to connect the panels.
Don't worry about inside of the ribs.
Check Bob Wells utube channel...he used a batting for inside.

Jed & Evie used a material over (not in) the ribs....traffic master 3-in-1 http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER.../203956767
I stuffed mine with a bunch of old plastic bags, hobo style, lol. But I only had the ceiling ribs, not the walls.
(06-28-2017, 02:38 PM)CautionToTheWind Wrote: [ -> ]Check Bob Wells utube channel...he used a batting for inside.

Jed & Evie used a material over (not in) the ribs....traffic master 3-in-1 http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER.../203956767

I saw that. To be honest I was surprised Bob used fibreglass batting. That stuff can be brutal on your lungs... but maybe I'm just a wuss! Tongue
I might just cut up little cubes of polysio and stuff them in the ribs. Seems like a lot of work and I was hoping for an easier solution.
You're in Vancouver, right? I have some chunks of Thinsulate left over that you can take. Might just be enough for stuffing into gaps. Free to you as long as you can collect Smile
Awesome. I'd love to do that. Please send me an email at oneawesomeinch88 at gmail.com

Thanks so much!
Pages: 1 2