VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Skills gap rant.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I can fix anything that runs on gas, or diesel. I can weld together fire tubes and steam engine boilers. I can weld in rust repair panels that look as if its factory..... But get me in front of a stick of wood and I am totally f*cked. Dealing with wood rot in an RV? I am completely lost. I need to make a small shed in the yard? I cant even cut wood straight... Everyone's got a skills blind spot... I just wish mine wasn't so damned frustrating...
take a piece of wood with a straight edge and clamp it to your board and use it as a saw guide.
(07-09-2017, 09:32 PM)bardo Wrote: [ -> ]have you tried a circular saw guide?

THERE IS A CIRCULAR SAW GUIDE???? WHERE???
sorry I edited on you
Last night my son was telling me about the table saw he just bought.  He knows how to use it but can't locate the starter motor or alternator on his car.  

I have seen all the tables in his house.  None of them are so big that he should need a special saw just to cut them.
(07-10-2017, 06:45 AM)Trebor English Wrote: [ -> ]Last night my son was telling me about the table saw he just bought.  He knows how to use it but can't locate the starter motor or alternator on his car. 

I once knew a guy that didn't know how to check the oil in his car. He did work in a cabinet shop though.
Different people have a wide variety of aptitudes and abilities. That's what makes the world go round I guess.
Solution.  Find some wood workers to make friends with.  They will likely appreciate having some one to go to
who can provide your skills.  And while you guys are enjoying the benefit of each others skills,  consider going together to some Ham Radio club meetings to meet some electronics/electrical guys.  They would see having
some friends who could do mechanics, wood working etc as a blessing.   This is one of the great things about
belong to a Fraternal Lodge.  (lots of all kinds of guys there)

rec·i·proc·i·ty  Pass it on   Tongue
(07-10-2017, 07:14 AM)Ballenxj Wrote: [ -> ]I once knew a guy that didn't know how to check the oil in his car. He did work in a cabinet shop though.
Different people have a wide variety of aptitudes and abilities. That's what makes the world go round I guess.

That would be my husband. Smile
Can build a kitchen or a house; and can sell sand on a beach. Check the oil, hell no.
Find a woodworker or builder who needs some welding done.

People usually learn what interests them. The rest of it is magic.

The neighbor behind me is the head on-site guy for building highways and bridges. He built a large shed (double garage size). When I saw him framing the roof, I noticed the *2x4s* used as rafters were maybe 6 to 8 feet apart. I thought he was going to fill them in. He didn't. He didn't put plywood on top, either, as it looked like MDF. Fast-forward to 16" of snow. Add some rain (rain is absorbed by snow and makes it heavier). After using most of what was left for firewood, he hired it done.
My neighbor growing up was an old WWI biplane mechanic. He could do everything but electric weld so he bolted everything together with forged hand made square nuts and bolts which I helped make. He made a riding lawn mower for me that every ten minutes of run time you had to tighten all the nuts and bolts trying to find one of the 3 or 4 custom wrenches that almost fit. This was one of the main reasons I became an Industrial Arts teacher and the first coarse I took was Welding!
Pages: 1 2