VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Montana Boondocking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
  We're driving through Montana , on our way to Seattle and stayed overnight in a fishing access site - free camping ,very nice ,quiet and scenic. I found the information on this site - Ultimate Public Campground Projects Map. It's a pretty new site and still has a few glitches but the developer is always working on it and improving it. Most of the camping sites have a fee but there are also a lot of free and inexpensive ones. We're heading to Helena and will check out some of the bureau of reclamation sites along Canyon Ferry Lake.

I think having boondocking in a separate section is a great idea! Maybe there should be a sticky with all of the links to good websites like this one and also links to people's favorite spots so it will be easier to find them ?  Link- http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/uc/index.php

I like the "sticky" idea.  If we weren't in a walmart parking lot, then we were in state or nat'l parks because we figured we wouldn't get harrassed that way.  Knowing where you can stay and not be in a walmart lot would be nice.... as long as the local residents in the area dont give off the wrong vibe.

Montana was a great place to travel through, friendly people and some of the best roads of our trip.
THANK;S. FOR THE LINK, I LIKE YOU IDEA  STICKY' , SOUND GOOD GARY
Thanks for the link!  I've clicked on a few of the parks in Oregon, and so far they all have a fee.  Is it just trial and error to find those that don't charge, or is there a list of those sites?
 Tammi - It's pretty much trail and error on the link that I posted but check the links that SoulRaven posted. I use most of those sites too. I prefer  http://freecampsites.net/usa/   over the others because of the format but it doesn't have a lot of campsites yet. If I can't find a place to stay on it I look for public ones on other sites ,ones that aren't always free or even cheap but still better than private parks.
I always submit the good places to freecampsites.net to help it grow.
tonyandkaren Wrote:It's pretty much trail

lol .. i see what you did there ... "trail" ... the mobile lifestyle. nice one!

lol - most of the time my mistakes just sound stupid but this one worked out! Whadda ya know!
tonyandkaren Wrote: Tammi - It's pretty much trail and error on the link that I posted but check the links that SoulRaven posted. I use most of those sites too. I prefer  http://freecampsites.net/usa/   over the others because of the format but it doesn't have a lot of campsites yet. If I can't find a place to stay on it I look for public ones on other sites ,ones that aren't always free or even cheap but still better than private parks.
I always submit the good places to freecampsites.net to help it grow.

Thank you, and I'll definitely check SoulRaven's links too.  Didn't see them because I was writing my question and looking at the map at different sites. lol Thanks, to SR, too!
I have used the "freecampsites.net" in the past,and found some free camping.
Pages: 1 2