VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Guanella Pass Rd in CO?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am about to head south from Granby , CO. 

The Guanella Pass Rd., a dirt road rom Georgetown to Grant, looks interesting on the map. Has anyone taken this road? Is it in decent condition for driving?

P.S. The Lake Granby area, where I am camping on NF land off of County Rd 4, is one of the best camps I have found in CO, which is saying a lot. After 9 months on the road, I think CO is the most beautiful state I have seen, at least for summer camping.
We drove the byway four years ago with our 25' class C. The road was paved from Georgetown to the summit and in good condition. I definitely recommend it.  Here's my blog post about the pass - http://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling....byway.html
(08-27-2017, 12:19 PM)VanForNow Wrote: [ -> ]I am about to head south from Granby , CO. 

The Guanella Pass Rd., a dirt road rom Georgetown to Grant, looks interesting on the map. Has anyone taken this road? Is it in decent condition for driving?

P.S. The Lake Granby area, where I am camping on NF land off of County Rd 4, is one of the best camps I have found in CO, which is saying a lot. After 9 months on the road, I think CO is the most beautiful state I have seen, at least for summer camping.

1. Yes, I have very recently checked out that road.
2. They paved it a few years ago.  It has changed quite a bit since the last time I was there.  

From the Pass south to US 285, there are 2 areas for dispersed camping  (that I saw) and at least 2 campgrounds. 

Guanella Pass is one of my favorite places in the state.  In the 21 years I've lived here, I've been there many times.  I  spread my dog Taz's ashes there because we'd hiked there so many times.    

I hope you enjoy it as much as I  have. 

Pat
Thanks for the replies T&K  & Pat.
(08-28-2017, 11:38 PM)VanForNow Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies T&K  & Pat.

You are very welcome! 

I love that place.  I'm convinced I can see Mt Evans and Bierstadt from where I'm camped on Rampart Range road , North of Woodland Park. 

Pat