VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Plastic or no?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So..i was thinking of doing the styrofoam thing like many here have done.  But i was wondering, do you lay plastic first for a vapor barrier or is the styrofoam itself enough for that? 

Also curious what you use to stick it up, i seen duct tape (wont last will it?) and spray adhesive, but im worried about the spray eating away at the van. 

When I insulated my little cargo trailer, I was able to simply cut the pieces so they'd fit tight
enough without using any tape or glue at all. All it really takes is careful measuring & cutting:

[Image: DSC07373.jpg]

Even on the curved surface of the ceiling it stayed in place long enough for me to cover with paneling:

[Image: DSC07419.jpg]

[Image: DSC07418.jpg]

[Image: DSC07422.jpg]

[Image: DSC07426.jpg]

After the stuff is covered with plywood or paneling, it's not going anywhere. Seems to me this
would work, unless there's some issue with doing it this way 
in a van that I'm not aware of.
...or of course, unless you don't plan on covering it at all. 

I'm not a fan of spray adhesive- it requires lots of ventilation when using it, and it tends to release when it gets hot. I prefer a polyurethane based construction adhesive as it is flexible, grips relatively quickly, doesn't smell AS bad, and wont dissolve the foam. (PL Premium  @HD) I even have used it to "caulk" the seams and perimeter of sheets where the fit was less than ideal and to prevent squeaks.
Standard vans have curves and odd spaces that make friction fitting a real bear, and often require two pieces especially if you are using the 2'x 8' sheets.

A vapor barrier should be on the "heated side" or inside as that is where the moisture will be coming from and condensing on the cooler metal wall. With a closed cell foam insulation, or foil faced foam there is no need for additional VB.

@ Joey...man, that is a nice job on your trailer amigo....I like it a lot...
Bri
I used 100% pure silicone sealant stuff to stick my Styrofoam up, it worked really well.
bk2valve Wrote:@ Joey...man, that is a nice job on your trailer amigo....I like it a lot...
Bri

Thanx a lot, Brian! I appreciate that!
Worked hard on it... 5 months from start to finish. 

Here's the build thread for the whole project, if you're interested: 
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34006

I agree some good craftsmanship going on there... How do you power the A/C unit...???

SirJoey Wrote:
bk2valve Wrote:@ Joey...man, that is a nice job on your trailer amigo....I like it a lot...
Bri

Thanx a lot, Brian! I appreciate that!
Worked hard on it... 5 months from start to finish. 

Here's the build thread for the whole project, if you're interested: 
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34006

Wow...Joey...that looks great--professional.  Truly impressive.
Rae
SoulRaven Wrote:I agree some good craftsmanship going on there... How do you power the A/C unit...???

Thanx, SR! The A/C unit & the little dorm-fridge are strictly 
shore-power luxuries. No shore-power, no A/C or fridge. 

yesican Wrote:Wow...Joey...that looks great--professional.  Truly impressive.
Rae

Thanx, Rae! Most kind of U! Copied the bed/closet unit from 
Bob's build of similar in 2 Knives Katie's Astro van. 

Trying not to hijack Dazar Gaidin's thread here!