VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Conversion van insulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been searching for a van and I've watched a lot of You Tube videos and all of Bobs. My question is when people buy a used conversion van I haven't seen anyone add insulation to them.  I hardly see anyone even talk about the subject for the most part. Am I missing something? By the way you have taught so much I really appreciate it!
Do some googling and you'll find thousands of pages, discussions and videos on the topic.

Including on this site of course

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ac...insulation
Many people who have insulation, don't really need it. Insulation is good for areas that are cold in the winter. Alas, the laws of thermodynamics mean that they are far less useful in areas that are hot all the time (if you are not actually cooling the air--and that requires an AC of some sort--then the BEST you can hope for is to keep the internal temp in the van the same as the external temp).

So, I don't have any insulation at all. But I am completely mobile and travel with the weather--north in summer, south in winter. So I never face really hot or really cold conditions, and my sleeping bag(s) can handle anything I'm likely to encounter.

Of course if you are planning on staying in the same locale year-round and it gets cold there in the winter, insulation might then be a necessity for you.
That's just bonkers. For those not free to follow the weather, insulation is essential.

Especially in hot weather!

With cold weather you just waste heating fuel, relatively cheap and easy.

In extreme heat a van quickly gets unbearable, even life-threatening, bare metal absorbs then radiates it inside.
(09-14-2017, 02:37 PM)John61CT Wrote: [ -> ]That's just bonkers. For those not free to follow the weather, insulation is essential.

In extreme heat a van quickly gets unbearable, even life-threatening, bare metal absorbs then radiates it inside.

Thanks you guys. The heat really gets to me more than the cold. I've lived in Minnesota and now in Ohio. I know I will have get insulation, and I will travel with the weather. So on a cargo van it's a must, on a conversion van where the seats fold down into a bed I would have to tear all of the lining out to put in the insulation? I'm disabled so it's either way it will kill my back and legs. Where would a good place be on this forum to go for more questions about the order in which I do things. Thanks for your responses. I'm old and a little slow!
Get a detailed design and all the materials in place, then look / advertise on CL for a handyman type to help
Thank you John, by the way the link you posted is great!
teach a man to fish. . .
(09-14-2017, 02:37 PM)John61CT Wrote: [ -> ]That's just bonkers. For those not free to follow the weather, insulation is essential.

No argument from me--we don't seem to be disagreeing.

Nevertheless, thermodynamics means insulation is definitely not as efficient or effective in the heat as it is in the cold. At the end of the day, entropy wins, the heat will always get in, and the inside of the van will equalize in temperature with the outside--unless you are doing something to actually cool the air. Insulation will delay the process, but not stop it. 

It would be interesting to see what % of van-dwellers migrate with the weather vs staying in one location...........
Good shade, lots of active ventilation, small fans loose light clothing all help.

Polar tubes swamp cooler on the project list.
Pages: 1 2 3