VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Necessary to use strip to put up plywood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=15771]'[attachment=15771][attachment=15771]Just about got insulation in, was going to use strip of wood (1/2 in x 1in)on crossmember but had someone tell just screw the 1/8in plywood to crossmember sans strip.  
Any thoughts?
that's the way I would do it. forget the strip. I really don't see the need and you just loose more interior space. highdesertranger
Straight in no strip means have to follow the curve.

If you want a flat plane you need to build out with strips.
I used 1x3 and 1x2 both horizontally across the upright posts of the van and then, using Kreg pocket screws I also installed uprights where I  needed them. 1x3s were used where I was going to have two panels meet, 1x2 if there was only going to be a single row of screws going in.

Yes, I lost 3/4" on each wall but it was well worth it to me.

All the 1x3s were placed where *I* needed them for attaching all the cabinetry/bed etc to the walls. Had I just put in 1/4" plywood or Luan directly over the metal 'studs', I would never have been able to secure everything except where it would go through the panelling and in to metal.

My walls are still curved btw John61CT. That wasn't the purpose of the strapping.
Easier to get away with no strips on an Econoline versus an Express.
The walls are much straighter on the Fords whereas the Chevys are all compound curves.
I didn't both on my Express but that does make paneling a bit of a pain.
I'll toss my 2cents into the pile... :-)

the value of insulation is in it's thickness.
if a strip is used over the body panel framework, you can get more insulation in the space created.
lofty type insulation loses it's value when it is compressed. rigid foam, well, it's already compressed. :-)
This will effectively lower your ceiling height, so there is a trade-off.
The 1/8" luan panelling is really wimpy stuff. It's soft, too. There are hardboard products available.
Also a textured plastic sheet product called chemlite? that is used in walk-in freezers and such
If fastening with screws a washer or grommet should be used so the screw head does not suck through the thin stock.
Or, better, is to both glue, and screw it.
Sparsely fastening it up, Then a strip screwed into position at the backing would be superior to all above.
Sanding sealer should be applied to all interior wood surfaces and a top coat product so it will be washable & odor free.
The exterior of a roof, in any arid region should always be white. Any tint soaks sunlight, creating heat.
Best, wheels
On the Express I used Hardboard. Really like it. Thin. Tough as nails. Still flexes. Cuts easy.
Not the most attractive option. Definitely have to paint it and it isn't easy to paint.
I should mention that my inside height is 7 ft...
Probably obvious. Use sheet metal screws to fasten wood to metal. Drill the wood oversize to have the threads pass through to the metal.