VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Hauling a Motorcycle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Does anyone here have any experience here? I just sold my heavy 650 and now I am looking into getting a lighter motorcycle probably a 250 dual sport. Any recommendations? I want to keep up with traffic on the highway but don't want to kill my mpgs too much when I am hauling it to the next spot.
Nope, can't be done. Tongue 
Especially not with a 700 cc Street bike.
Are you crazy?
[attachment=16055]
Hitch tray. Trailers kill mpg numbers and make parking a pain.
A little bike will mount to a hitch tray no prob.
(09-27-2017, 02:05 PM)Gideon33w Wrote: [ -> ]Hitch tray. Trailers kill mpg numbers and make parking a pain.
A little bike will mount to a hitch tray no prob.

I am planning on having a cargo trailer already, so I might as well utilize it. I might still think about doing the hitch tray in addition to a smaller trailer than I originally envisioned. Most of the places I will be going to I will be able to park the trailer, so it won't be too much of an issue parking.
I haul my 650 inside my cargo trailer, and can still sleep in it on the road. But a 250 would make a nice run about. I like both the Yamaha XT and the Honda CRF models in newer bikes. Or if you don't mind older I love the little siblings to my bike - the KLR 250 and Super Sherpa are both bulletproof bikes like their big brother the 650, but in a much smaller and easier to handle package.
[Image: d082b18a35a0f93df376c841944a7238.jpg]

Not saying it's a particularly good idea, but my 460# f650 fits on the hitch tray. Made it from MT to AL.
(09-27-2017, 04:14 PM)snarfersnarf Wrote: [ -> ]I am planning on having a cargo trailer already, so I might as well utilize it. I might still think about doing the hitch tray in addition to a smaller trailer than I originally envisioned. Most of the places I will be going to I will be able to park the trailer, so it won't be too much of an issue parking.

Jk on my previous post btw. 
Are you asking for recommendations on the hauling part or what bike to get? Not clear from your response....
For me, a 650cc Vertical twin or single cylinder water-cooled engine is the perfect and best handling motorcycle: period. They have tremendous torque to drive Safely, even at expressway speeds; and they are small enough you don't generally have to worry about speeding tickets. Cops know you have to stay away from packs of multitasking drivers. There are limited ways to carry them. If you use a trailer, States seem to be headed towards a 55 mph MAX for ANY trailer rule. And carrying them on the bumper is inviting no-good for nothing vandals, imo. Ymmv.
the wrr is probably the most highway capable. I like the Honda but it's heavy, like 320. is the klx fuel injected yet?

Sent from my BLU_STUDIO_XL using Tapatalk
I've had several dual sports and ended up with the Yamaha WR250R.  Its fuel injected -hit the button and go.   Good solid steel frame on the rear for packing gear for trips and will do 65+ without fuss.   It is fully capable and light and nearly bullet proof.  Not too friendly for shorter people but there are lowering mods as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5