VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: What flooring to use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My floor is currently a piss poorly cut piece of 3/4" plywood and want something better as well as lighter. This is a 94 dodge caravan, what do ya'll use to insulate and cushion the floor?
Many folks do not use floor insulation at all.  But it might be more important in a mini in cool temps as you are probably sleeping closer to the floor.

I use a VanTred cargo van mat, but I don't think they make one for the Caravan.   It is only .75" thick;  tough, nonslip, and comfortble to sit/kneel/stand on for hours.  Maybe something similar is available from another vendor.  Maybe those interlocking workfloor mats?
Most don't insulate the floor and 3/4" plywood, well cut is not too thick to be using on the floor. Unless you never intent to install any kind of bed platform or cabinetry, you'll need that thick a floor so that you can screw in to it to anchor things.

I used vinyl laminate for flooring over the 3/4" plywood in my van. I can drip rain on it, drop an egg or two and splash water when bathing, all with impunity.

The other alternative is vinyl flooring but it can be a pita to lay in a small space like a van.

Personally, I want something able to withstand all that I put the floor through including all the water etc, cushiony and soft doesn't work well for full-time living IMO.
You could use anything from carpet over padding to T&G wooden bats over underlayment... whatever suits your fancy, and lifestyle.
I saw some linoleum type 12" square floor tiles in a very expensive Class A a month or so, ago that looked great. Almost anything could be installed over the top of that plywood, which is good because it does dampen road noise.
wheels
I'm the opposite, forget plywood thick and heavy no insulation.

For anchoring long as your floor isn't rusted out, Plusnuts are great, for lots of flexibility use L-track, can be from the side as much as the floor. Some make use of the existing seat / belt attachment fixtures.

Use rigid foam insulation, thin strips first if you have corrugations to level, then total thickness so R-value is a third that of your roof, half that of your walls.

Then vinyl or rubber matting on top, ideally one big piece precisely templated and cut.

I prefer to be able to easily pull it all up for airing out, cleaning up in the event of big spills, but some like to try for a real sealed up surface and glue it all down.
(09-29-2017, 05:44 PM)Pebbles Wrote: [ -> ]"....what do ya'll use to insulate and cushion the floor?
On the link below, scroll down to the third post of the thread , the response "Gonefishin" gives. He lives in Utah. He did a really sweet build on his CT. Nothing fancy. Simple and easy. But looks good. He gives an update on his "foam floor tiles". : http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33924&start=105
I put down 1/2" polyiso then cut to fit the cheapest, thinnest laminate wood I could find. The few places where I've screwed something down into the floor, that item is also bolted to the wall or it's only holding a bit of insulation so I'm not too worried about how well the laminate holds screws.

No problems yet living in the van half the time in the last 2.5 years plus 70k miles other than the finish wearing off where my chair sits. That's more a problem with my chair solution, though.

I didn't even put anything down between the ribs or screw the laminate down into the floor. It's just floating.

It cleans up easy and looks decent.
My van's PO installed BedRug on plywood. https://bedrug.com/bed-mats

I like it fine.

I don't think there's any insulation under there.
In a class b van that already has carpet and linoleum, which is more challenging to keep clean, i'm covering the floor with tarp cut to fit the floor, a piece for the front and a piece for the back and hallway.  Will use paint tape (green frog tape) to lightly secure it along the walls.  The pieces will be easy to clean and manage, and can be removed and stored away easily.  Will put a neoprene mat down on the tarp directly in front of the rv furnace.  Not the most attractive, but cheaper than installing a different floor, and effective as an insulator against drafts from the floor in winter.
Duckwonder, just be careful walking on that tarp. They are notoriously slippery, particularly when your shoes are wet!
Pages: 1 2