VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: how to make an insulated curtain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(12-06-2017, 11:12 AM)Bohemian scout Wrote: [ -> ]I cut reflectix to fit each window and covered the edges with duct tape. That works great except it was too shiny inside so I covered each window piece with felt covering the edges again with duct tape. I used a spray adhesive to apply the felt, no sewing necessary. I suppose you could do this to the outside of the reflectix with black felt. I don't mind the reflectix on the outside because my tinted windows block the shine a little bit and I want it to help block the Sun.

Thanks! I've got spray adhesive, Idea guess I could use that rather than a staple gun. I'm allergic to chemicals so would have to do it far enough in advance to let fumes dissipate.
(11-08-2017, 12:03 PM)Weight Wrote: [ -> ]Insulated drapes are available at walmart and many other stores.

Yes, I have seen those. Was hoping to find a way to hang them between front seats and back bed area without making alterations to my minivan. The overhead side handles are set too far back to run them across there. I tried a spring rod in the right location but the walls are angled so it did not fit.

I may have to alter my vehicle to hang the privacy/darkout/insulating curtains behind the two front seats.
I think if you keep experimenting you can find a way.

Different shaped steel, flat vs rectangular tubing? Pre-bent to creat an arch shape, start out too long then cut just right with a hacksaw?

Strong magnets?

If nothing else, just needing one small hole in the liner on each side to fix in the support post?

Focus on getting the arch firmly in place, then look at the track/slider to attach to it.
Thanks, John. I have super strong rare earth magnets. Guess I'll invest in dark out curtains and see if that approach works.
One of Bob's recent vlogs shows a lady who used Harbor Freight moving blankets as her insulated window shades.
> I have super strong rare earth magnets

I meant to hold up the steel you the attach the curtain runner to.

If you want to use magnets to actually hold the material directly, depending how much curve the roof has, you may want to check out the magnetic material that comes in strips or rolls.

I've seen some advertised as very powerful, but maybe not as much as yours.
Harbor freight has their moving blankets on sale,with coupon you can pick up at the store,for $5.99
I didn't care so much about insulated curtains but have been looking for how to do curtains in my fit and came across this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfPYhDCbnG8
I've been trying to work with sticky Velcro but it only seems to stick to smooth surfaces.
(02-28-2018, 09:58 AM)Victor Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't care so much about insulated curtains but have been looking for how to do curtains in my fit and came across this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfPYhDCbnG8
I've been trying to work with sticky Velcro but it only seems to stick to smooth surfaces.

Thanks, Victor. I just watched this guy using a thin aluminum strip across the top of his Prius in order to hang curtains that block off the back seats. He's a genius.  Idea 

Just watched the video you sent re making an insulated "sandwich" for windows. It's very precise work & I'd have to buy a glue gun, glue, that special white air filled board, & the black fabric from Walmart. He does a great job of creating insulation that fits snug, built to last, keeps the interior warm.

I may take the time to do this.  Smile   I found a Youtube video from Kelly Doyle on how to hang curtains behind the front seat in a minivan. No velcro required.
(02-20-2018, 11:16 AM)John61CT Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to use magnets to actually hold the material directly, depending how much curve the roof has, you may want to check out the magnetic material that comes in strips or rolls.

I've seen some advertised as very powerful, but maybe not as much as yours.

Thx, John. I'll save the rare earth magnets for rock hounding. The metal strip from Home Depot does hold magnets.  I didn't know magnetic material came in strips or rolls. That could be extremely handy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6