VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Van bed width or length for twin bed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am 5'6" and think the measurements are close for a twin (ish) size bet to sleep across wheel wells, or other options.

Can you really sleep width of van across/over wheel wells???

I am thinking length wise of van. But still a twin bed with storage underneath.  

I have been reading the forums, you tube and Bob's videos, a width bed over wheel wells seems to be short unless sleeping at an angle.

Please pictures or refer to videos would be appreciated.  

Is it possible?

Thank you L
(11-13-2017, 01:55 AM)lf6998 Wrote: [ -> ]I am 5'6" and think the measurements are close for a twin (ish) size bet to sleep across wheel wells, or other options.

I am thinking length wise of van. But still a twin bed with storage underneath.  

I have been reading the forums, you tube and Bob's videos, a width bed over wheel wells seems to be short unless sleeping at an angle.

Please pictures or refer to videos would be appreciated.  

Is it possible?

Thank you L

I'm struggling with this as well. Do I want a permanent bed across the width or a twin bed length wise which allows a walk through ... many pros and cons for each.
(11-13-2017, 01:55 AM)lf6998 Wrote: [ -> ]I am 5'6" and think the measurements are close for a twin (ish) size bet to sleep across wheel wells, or other options.

Depends on the van.

I am 6' and can sleep widthwise in my Promaster with 4" extra.    This is a pic of me mocking up the platform (forgive the camera angle):

[Image: pmBedPlatformMockup-blurred-rotated.png]

I limited insulation there to .5" of polyiso on each side or the space would have been 6'3".  If I find that to be a problem I'll add in another .5" polyiso.   The width and front wheel drive are why the Ducato/Promaster dominates the european RV market.

Sleeping at a diagonal is no big deal anyhow;  it just means the platform will need to be a little bigger in area.
Ugg, that pic has been bugging me.  I rotated it in GIMP and tried to edit the post but it was too late.  Here's the straightened pic:

[Image: pmBedPlatformMockup-blurred-rotated.png]
I'm 5'7" and the length between walls in my setup is 6'. I could give up about an inch but don't think I would be comfortable beyond that. Some of it depends on how you sleep. On your side with your legs bent a bit and you take up less than your height. On your stomach with your feet pointed out and your arms under your face with your elbows forward and you take up a few inches more than your height. Figure out how you want to do your walls them measure how much room is left. 6' or more you should be fine, any less you'll have to decide how much of a buffer you need.
It’s definitely personal preference, tho i did find during a time being single, having the bed length of the van in a twin size set up was nice..
I have done 2 vans with the bed across the back. I'm 5'8. my current bed is 5'6 x 3'6. It is fine for one person. I can actually stretch out once my head is elevated on pillows. My wife and I can both sleep on it pretty comfortably. To me it is worth having more floor space. If I were to do a bed the length of the van it would have to be a murphy bed or a dinette to make the space multi functional.
The bed in my first van was made out of a Ikea futon I cut in half and measured 74"L by 32" w... It was perfect for one person. (I'm 6"2)...
[Image: 10pq7t1.jpg]

The bed in my B is 55"L by 69" W. I haveto lay down at an angle, but is super comfortable.
hey fratter I fixed your pic for you. highdesertranger
I'll probably do my lengthwise because I can't find an innerspring mattress that will fit side to side.  I tried a memory foam mattress in my TT but couldn't stand the fact that it is so hard to turn over and I just prefer an innerspring mattress.  I would like to find one less than the standard 39" twin but haven't found one that I feel is affordable.  I also want an open aisle from front to back and am looking at a murphy bed of some sort.
Pages: 1 2 3