VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: My God, It's Full of Stars!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, so ...

In 63+ years of sucking O2 out of the atmosphere, I've accumulated a lot of stuff.  More than I need, or want, anymore.

Toward my goal of paring down the pile, I've mentally pushed a lot of things into the fire, but there is still a lot that I love and want to keep.  Some of those things are large/bulky/space swallowing ...

I am something of an amateur astronomer ... who doesn't feel a sense of wonder when they tilt their head back and see that amazing starscape?

So, over the years I've either built or purchased a series of telescopes to get a better view ... there are some amazing things floating over our heads!  I currently have a rather large 8" Celestron on and old German equatorial mount with a wooden tripod.   Just think big, heavy and tear jerking to think of leaving it behind.

To finally be on the cusp of being able to spend some quality time in ink black skies where an instrument like my telescope could deliver its full worth, and have to consider pushing it into the gotta-go pile is well ... *sniff* ... hard.

I've got some options in my head, but all take the two things I am trying to amend to a more sane level ... time and money.  I want more time, and I want to need less money.

There are other items on my big and bulky list, but I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts of specifically having a telescope in tow in a limited space allotment.

Buy more space (read "trailer"), kick something else off the "keep" list ... ?
Out here the skies are just plain amazing even without a telescope.

A reclining lawn chair and a warm sleeping bag will fit where that big old trailer size telescope won't. And they can do double duty.... Big Grin

If you really need a telescope, a small compact one will bring you great pleasure and won't have to be towed.

I know you're attached to the big one but what works for the backyard in the burbs won't even be needed out here!
I you want to carry one thing big and gully, look at a hitch mount carrier. That was my thought with kayak gear.
Yeah, a good telescope in coal black skies to an astronomer is a must.
Keep your favorite, most useful, most interesting one. You already have it so another purchase isn't needed. You'll miss the scope, guarantee it. Even a spotting scope, which is an excellent tool, cannot hold a candle to your favorite scope. Motored into Needles Outpost just past dark a while back, passing a star gazing party at the camping entrance. There was quite an assortment of interesting devices, and your's would be a nice addition. Trim the fat in pots & pans or clothing or unnecessary tools, but don't lose that scope!
Well, I always wanted a telescope; they are awesome. But I never got one; lots of reasons. 20 years ago I did the next best thing (for me). I purchased a high quality 10x50 pair of binaculars. Not a telescope for sure, but pretty good using a lawn recliner Almost There suggested. Plus, put ‘em back in their case and stick ‘em in the cupboard when done.

Maybe this would be “good enough” for you. Keep us posted!
Where there is a will, there is a way.
No one can make that choice for you.

Build a turret observatory on the roof of your vehicle for your telescope.

The imagination runs wild... Army surplus tracked armored vehicle mounted with a telescope instead of a cannon. The ultimate adventure rig with telescope.
 No wait, might need the cannon for self defense. North Korea, terrorists or zombies. Keep the cannon, easier. Mount the telescope on the cannon.

Yeah, go ahead and keep the telescope and mount it an old Sherman tank. Abrahms are too expensive, heavy and suck back too much fuel. That's what you want to hear right? We all support you. Lol.  
It's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?
That may work for the occasional lunar look Speed, but I've always found it frustrating that I couldn't hold still enough even for that.
(12-22-2017, 11:21 AM)Minivanmotoman Wrote: [ -> ]Where there is a will, there is a way.
No one can make that choice for you.

Build a turret observatory on the roof of your vehicle for your telescope.

The imagination runs wild... Army surplus tracked armored vehicle mounted with a telescope instead of a cannon. The ultimate adventure rig with telescope.
 No wait, might need the cannon for self defense. North Korea, terrorists or zombies. Keep the cannon, easier. Mount the telescope on the cannon.

Yeah, go ahead and keep the telescope and mount it an old Sherman tank. Abrahms are too expensive, heavy and suck back too much fuel. That's what you want to hear right? We all support you. Lol.  
It's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?
LOL!  Love it!  ... and get, what ... 20 gallons to the mile?  Yah, but, but .. it's a tank!!  With a TELESCOPE!!!  Love it, man!
Another thought that parallels your thinking db: During the years that I backpacked into our nation's backcountry, an activity that is very weight conscious, I always had 25 pounds of camera gear with me and simply wore the same clothes for weeks to keep the weight down, and personal hygiene products were just a memory... Priorities.
To be politically correct, you would be on a peace keeping mission to discover if life does exist in the outer Galaxies. 
To boldly go, where no man has gone before...
Pages: 1 2 3