VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Need Suggestions For Escaping Heat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Myself and a Newfie I met at the RTR have become travel buds and he can be in the US until April.  Both of us are candy asses when it comes to hot weather and I am more because of my cat, dog and state of my van(no fan or insulation yet but on the list).  It's going to get pretty warm next week so we thought to get plans in order in case we needed to escape.  We're looking for a bit of a balance.  I'd love to head for Flagstaff but it's a bit chilly at night.  We miss trees. 

Any suggestions on where we can go in/around AZ?  Hopefully there are a number of spots we can travel around to.  I need storage, temp mailbox and access to showers if that helps. Yes I used free campsites and another one but they don't take the place of your experience when it comes to our lack there of.
St. George Utah?
You could go up 95, it runs next to the river with lots of boondocking on the river if you look at google maps sat view, in the parker area to the south you should be able to boondock on the river, or you could keep going north to lake havasu, some free camping there too.

the calif side a has some large rv parks, a few on the az side too,

Prescott National Forest area and Prescott has boondocking and is cooler
Count on temperature drops of about 4 degrees for every thousand feet uphill you go.

Knowing that, you can use google to find elevation of any town that you think you'd like to go visit to escape the warming temperatures.

Keep in mind that it's always a bit more comfortable near the water and where you can get shade. 80 F in mid afternoon full sun in the desert is a whole lot more uncomfortable than 80F sitting in the shade or in a lawn chair with your feet in the water and a sun umbrella overhead!

The Cottonwood/Sedona area. for example. is at 3000 to 4000 ft elevation so it's a popular place for late March/Early April when the temps at sea level start getting too uncomfortably warm. Flagstaff at 7,000 ft is still in the throes of snow melt at that time of year so it doesn't become a great place to be until late May/June.
It's actually unseasonably warm in Sedona / Cottonwood right now... very comfortable!
SE of Tucson, Las Cienegas National Conservation Area has been mid 70's daytime and mid 40's night. Also Tombstone area Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area.  Both these areas are gorgeous. There is also a small BLM land area right in Tucson (Snyder Hill) with temps @ 80 Day 50 night.
It is cooler down by the river in Ehrenberg due to the vegetation and the river itself.
(01-31-2018, 09:01 PM)rickr Wrote: [ -> ]St. George Utah?

Temps are just right but I still need shower access, mail and storage.  Do you know where those are?
(01-31-2018, 09:32 PM)Chuck1 Wrote: [ -> ]lake havasu, some free camping there too.

Havasu is definitely on the list because of Wal-Mart and Home Depot.  Need supplies.  However, if you could clue me in on where showers are I'd be most grateful.
(01-31-2018, 10:11 PM)Almost There Wrote: [ -> ]Knowing that, you can use google to find elevation of any town that you think you'd like to go visit to escape the warming temperatures.

The Cottonwood/Sedona area. for example. is at 3000 to 4000 ft elevation so it's a popular place for late March/Early April

I'm having a hard time finding info about showers which is why I included them in my request.  I can find mail and storage pretty easy but if people had info on who was good to work with, prices, etc. it would help.

Is there more than one Cottonwood location? I'm getting conflicting info.  Thanks for mentioning Sedona because the temps are great... but showers!  Argh!  Oooh! Sedona is by Prescott! I see some solar panels in my future...
Pages: 1 2 3