VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Long Term Living on the Road
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Those of us who are retired or on disability have a very good life.  But there is still the question of what to do when health fails, either short term or long term.

For those still working those long term questions are even bigger.  Jessica Bruder, in her book 'Nomadland', makes the case for those concerns.

The below article, about 'portable' benefits for Uber Drivers, is a bit off topic, but I think in some ways gets to the heart of the question.  These questions have been deliberated on in depth, from the left leaning economic activist/academic/organizer community which has deep roots in American Labor history.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/43435...its-scheme

Van Dwellers, by nature, are not so much 'union' joiners, but these issues are critical.  Personally, I found myself on the homeless end of the CRVL spectrum after health issues coincident with the 2008 economic meltdown, after working in the 'gig' economy as a pre-Uber, independent contract delivery driver (including Safeways!) for over a decade.  Extremely long work hours were a big part of the problem.

I am now on disability, but absent the discrimination, etc, I received both before and after hitting the road, I believe my health would have recovered enough to return to work.  At this point my recovery is not at all certain.

I do know this at least, I will die happy, knowing I did, and experienced, everything I could.
Spent a couple years taking care of my disabled parents. Both with multiple health issues, and advanced old age.

This is what I know:

1) I will not leave myself in the position of having my children feel the obligation to do that for me (full time care giver).
2) old age ain’t for sissys
3) whatever happens to me...leave me alone! Do not call some emergency service!
I have seen the results...I am not going there.
(02-06-2018, 12:04 PM)DLTooley Wrote: [ -> ]Van Dwellers, by nature, are not so much 'union' joiners ..

Not true.  I've been planning this since I was in 6th grade, yet I worked for a union for 20 years (and my pension will help me in my trip).

Unions are generally for the workers and workers' rights.  Sounds like freedom to me.  Just saying.
(02-06-2018, 12:04 PM)DLTooley Wrote: [ -> ]But there is still the question of what to do when health fails, either short term or long term.
The flip side is that I know many long term nomads whose health has improved because they got away from environments, situations and habits that were impacting their health.
(02-06-2018, 01:14 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: [ -> ]whatever happens to me...leave me alone! Do not call some emergency service!
Every place I have worked DNRs do no good unless/until an authoritative pushy person shows up actively waving it around, usually a lawyer.

AND every kin in the place enthusiastically agree.

Even having it tattooed across your chest doesn't help.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-not-resu...-his-life/
(02-09-2018, 05:49 AM)John61CT Wrote: [ -> ]Every place I have worked DNRs do no good unless/until an authoritative pushy person shows up actively waving it around, usually a lawyer.

AND every kin in the place enthusiastically agree.

Even having it tattooed across your chest doesn't help.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-not-resu...-his-life/

Every place I have worked do honor DNRs, every time. The link you give is about a tattoo and does not back up your claims.
I'm talking about a new dying patient presenting at the ER.

Hospital has the DNR somewhere on file, but distraught relatives are ignored.

Doctors take extreme measures, CPR, defibrillator intubation etc, 10,20,30 minutes pass, no one has even looked up the DNR on file by the time patient is declared dead

My point about the tattoo is the **length of time** it took for them to debate and discuss rather than immediately abiding by what could not have been more clearly expressed wishes.

Only when a forceful authority figure actually arrives waving the document at them, and obviously very difficult to ensure such is going to happen.

For myself I will try to make sure no one even calls the ambulance until 12 hours have passed.
(02-06-2018, 12:04 PM)DLTooley Wrote: [ -> ]The below article, about 'portable' benefits for Uber Drivers, is a bit off topic, but I think in some ways gets to the heart of the question.  These questions have been deliberated on in depth, from the left leaning economic activist/academic/organizer community which has deep roots in American Labor history.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/43435...its-scheme
Uber indicated in its statement that it aims to "create arrangements for social investments from private and public sources." Uber acknowledges that workers need to "protect themselves and their loved ones" amid infirmity and retirement. The company vaunts its engagement with David Rolf, president of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) 775, which represents workers in Washington and Montana.

WTF?  Social and public sources to fund the benefits of Uber employees?  Medicaid, and go fund me?
(02-08-2018, 12:42 PM)RoadtripsAndCampfires Wrote: [ -> ]Not true.  I've been planning this since I was in 6th grade, yet I worked for a union for 20 years (and my pension will help me in my trip).
Unions are generally for the workers and workers' rights.  Sounds like freedom to me.  Just saying.

My uncle was a union carpenter and he and my aunt travelled all over the country towing an Airstream. He always was able to go to a hall and find work. Of course that was mostly in the 50's and 60's when they were building bridges for the interstate highways (he was a form carpenter). If they ever decide to fix the crumbling infrastructure in the US, there would be plenty of work for lots of folks. Sorry, a bit political but so true.
(02-09-2018, 12:28 PM)RoadtripsAndCampfires Wrote: [ -> ]I did not realize that would quote the entire thing unless I deleted.  Sorry about that.  I was away for awhile and forgot.

There, fixed it for you...Nomadventurer
Pages: 1 2