VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: zero waste - minimalism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone! I wasn't really sure where to post this since it encompasses so many different topics. 

I was wondering if anyone has built out their vehicles with environmentalism in mind? I do have a small budget but I want to be as earth friendly as I can while I'm switching into van life, as well as being earth friendly while on the road. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what's worked for them? I am looking into diy soaps (laundry, body, dish) as well as plastic alternatives. I'm also doing some research into possibly becoming vegetarian, more for personal health reasons than anything else, but I know that it will help as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum
Environmentalism in mind? I'd bet the average vehicle on RV forums weighs well over 3 tons and gets about 9 MPG. If you don't drive much at all and do all those other things you mention I guess you could call yourself 'earth friendly'.

If you drive that rig thousands of miles each year for many years you will be burning massive quantities of fuel and helping to foul the air and indirectly damage the earth where the oil industry hangs out. Earthquakes in Oklahoma? Yep, because of fracking. Inevitable oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico and many other offshore drilling areas. Global warming looms over us as it's bound to get worse.

Your heart is in the right place but unless you can get by living in a Prius, I don't see how anyone could consider living in a gas guzzler as a good thing for the environment.
I searched the personal hygiene forum for the term "homemade" and got quite a few threads you might like.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/search.php?action=results&sid=ed56a177883c7dbe9d2bb5ec97c7a5e1&sortby=lastpost&order=desc
(02-18-2018, 03:06 PM)slow2day Wrote: [ -> ]Your heart is in the right place but unless you can get by living in a Prius, I don't see how anyone could consider living in a gas guzzler as a good thing for the environment.

Well, let's see! I may drive a big van but it's also my home. That being my home I no longer use a gazillion megawatts of electricity to power and heat my large home...that alone saves a chunk on the zero waste scale. I don't drive near as many miles as i used to when I had to commute to work and/or drive for a living.

Also living in a small home on wheels, I am definitely  not a person with large consumer needs. I don't buy clothing unless absolutely necessary. I haven't caused any of the home products or fashion industries to produce anything for my consumption. Score big time there.

I recycle everything that I can and don't buy anything more than I absolutely have to...I have no space for all that consumerism!

I use a whole lot less water than I ever did. My toilet no longer flushes 5 gallons of treated water back in to a treatment plant.

And the cosmetic industry took a nose dive in sales when I retired from my last job. Big Grin

What I'm saying is that just because I live in a 'gas guzzler'...your words, doesn't mean that I can't be earth friendly.

I'm much more earth friendly than 99% of the population simply because I DO live in my van.
(02-18-2018, 03:06 PM)slow2day Wrote: [ -> ]Environmentalism in mind?  I'd bet the average vehicle on RV forums weighs well over 3 tons and gets about 9 MPG. If you don't drive much at all and do all those other things you mention I guess you could call yourself 'earth friendly'.

If you drive that rig thousands of miles each year for many years you will be burning massive quantities of fuel and helping to foul the air and indirectly damage the earth where the oil industry hangs out. Earthquakes in Oklahoma? Yep, because of fracking. Inevitable oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico and many other offshore drilling areas. Global warming looms over us as it's bound to get worse.

Your heart is in the right place but unless you can get by living in a Prius, I don't see how anyone could consider living in a gas guzzler as a good thing for the environment.

I realize your point, but I'm not going to be living in an rv. I'm going to be living in a van. I know that there are negative aspects, but I believe that it can make a difference regardless of your home base, whether that's a building or a vehicle. What I was looking for was ways that I could address lessening my footprint that work while living on the road. I don't have an option to create a home in a building, I don't have enough money due to student loans. There's no declaring bankruptcy with student loans. While I am choosing to live a life in this manner, it's also done out of necessity. So please don't tear down my attempts to do this in a way that doesn't create vast amounts of damage.
(02-18-2018, 01:58 PM)Riverman Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the forum

thanks! looking forward to hearing people's perspectives
Folks that live in smaller homes don't necessarily have to use megawatts of power. Tiny houses off-grid come to mind.

The residents may live close enough to their employment where they can walk or bike to work. Or drive an electric car.

They don't have to be filling their homes with giant TVs or whatever wasteful googaws are out there. Composting toilets or rain water collection reduces the demand for water. Growing gardens reduce the need for store bought food,etc,etc.

Let's look at all the options out there and not compare our van living to the stereotypical mega-polluters living in giant houses.
(02-18-2018, 03:34 PM)slow2day Wrote: [ -> ]Folks that live in smaller homes don't necessarily have to use megawatts of power. Tiny houses off-grid come to mind.

The residents may live close enough to their employment where they can walk or bike to work. Or drive an electric car.

They don't have to be filling their homes with giant TVs or whatever wasteful googaws are out there. Composting toilets or rain water collection reduces the demand for water. Growing gardens reduce the need for store bought food,etc,etc.

Let's look at all the options out there and not compare our van living to the stereotypical mega-polluters living in giant houses.

All I'm looking for is tips. Sounds like you've looked into downsizing before. Do you have any suggestions for my van life choice other than to not do it?
(02-18-2018, 03:29 PM)lforto20 Wrote: [ -> ]So please don't tear down my attempts to do this in a way that doesn't create vast amounts of damage.

I didn't mean to criticize specifically your plans and of course I realize everyone has different circumstances. I'm just really speaking in general terms. It is admirable that you think this way about reducing waste and I wish more people would feel and act that way. And for the record I too try to minimize waste with recycling and smart buying choices.

I did refer to RVs but you have to remember most full-size vans are also pretty heavy and their MPG sucks,too. If you can get by living in a minivan, then that would be somewhat better.Most will find them pretty cramped though. It's pretty much balancing your desire for comfort as opposed to being concerned about being wasteful. Welcome to the forum and good luck to you.
Pages: 1 2