VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: High top conversion van: to tear it out or no?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess this would be the place to ask this question.  I just bought a high top conversion van and it's so pretty inside I'm asking myself if I really need to tear it all out.  Since I have no experience in the matter, I figure you guys are the people to talk to.   My thought is, the only reason to tear it out would be to insulate it.  I know most people do, but just HOW important is it?  

Thank for any insights.  

Jim
That depends entirely on you!

The conversion van interior usually reduces the side to side measurement by well over 6" and by as much as 12" depending on the design.

The design is set up primarily for family comfort on the road - not for camping and definitely not for full-time living for one. It has minimal storage and poor insulation.

How important is it to insulate...well that depends on where you plan on living in it and for how long. If you're planning on full-time living in a northern clime...really important. Part time, seasonally in a more moderate climate...not so much.

Ripping it out entirely needs to be done with caution because you paid extra for that fancy interior. If you rip it all out it's tossing a lot of resale value down the tubes.
I didnt tear it all out of mine. just removed the rear seats but you can also take the panels off and insulate to fit behind them or make access to the dead space behind them like I did.

really depends on what you want. I like having the plush interior. it just feels comfortable to me. got any photos you can post of yours?
(03-26-2018, 03:02 PM)jwalts Wrote: [ -> ]I guess this would be the place to ask this question.  I just bought a high top conversion van and it's so pretty inside I'm asking myself if I really need to tear it all out.  Since I have no experience in the matter, I figure you guys are the people to talk to.   My thought is, the only reason to tear it out would be to insulate it.  I know most people do, but just HOW important is it?  

Thank for any insights.  

Jim

I have a hightop conversion van.  I feel like the headliner, etc. take the place of insulation, though I can't say I know what is behind there.  It seems to be enough, especially since I am not planning on being in extreme temps anywhere.  I would never rip mine out as it is too pretty.
Why don't you just leave it for now? Make minimal changes to suit your purpose and see how it goes.