VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Offroading Gear portable awning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across this product on Amazon while looking for awnings that can be utilized by a single person in a van or other vehicle that does not have a roof rack. Most of the simple tarp setups I’ve come across begin with attaching it to a roof rack. This looks good and is not unreasonably priced. There are only two reviews however so i thought i would check the forum to see if anyone is familiar with it or has used it.

Here’s the amazon link. I am not an amazon affiliate nor associated with the company.
It seems to be an exceptionally windy year. I've seen tents leaning at 45° angles, easy-ups tumbling away and RV awnings practically tearing themselves apart. So I would be wary of something that looks like a sail. And the "stakes" shown in the product photo are totally useless. But if you're in a region with fairly calm air, and have the money and the room to stow it, sure, it looks like a good thing.
I hadn’t considered the wind when looking at it but you’re certainly right about the sail design. I was looking primarily at what looks like ease in setup and take down. I’m a little on the lazy side and don’t like to spend time setting up a tarp with poles, tie downs and whatever it takes to get the things tight to avoid flapping in even a mild wind. Thanks for your input.
Not a bad price. I like that its rectangular, ~10 x ~7. Rods clip on the outside for ease of use

You would have to have secure mounting points. It seems very versatile . it could be a rain deflector over the side door. It could be a ground mounted shade shelter. Or at the beach. You could even use it as a tent. Or a stash hut. Just stake it down.

This is a link to the ezy awning that was all the rage for a while. I had one with extra mounting hardware. Sold it though. http://www.busdepot.com/a7905

I'm liking your find as another option.

Just saw this via amazon. sigh, we live in a parts-is-parts world but nonetheless. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4CQLY2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00Q4CQLY2&pd_rd_wg=xrvB6&pd_rd_r=4169RKYV6KJMSE0AYH7D&pd_rd_w=NRvLV

Side bar shows some of the many uses
It may be possible to achieve the same design using tent poles with a regular tarp but i wasn’t sure how that could be done. Then i found a video on YouTube employing an ingenious product called a “Tarp Buddy.”

Here’s the link to the video that brought this to my attention...
https://youtu.be/aROPxcMi_xA

Here’s the link to the Tarp Buddy website (there are videos on this website as well)...
https://tarpbuddy.com/
(05-26-2018, 03:20 PM)Matildas mate Wrote: [ -> ]I came across this product on Amazon while looking for awnings that can be utilized by a single person in a van or other vehicle that does not have a roof rack.,,,
Here’s the amazon link

Looks like the wind would just scoop it up and turn it into a kite.  Especially desert wind.
I've got one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Outsunny-Car-Awni...B071DBLMX8

I have a smaller version and tie it down to a 5' Walmart Folding table and can angle it into a prevailing wind. This is a cheap option and there are some manufacturing issues, but it looks repairable. See the Amazon suggestions for more expensive options.
I got this product. A week later, it was taken off Amazon, for what reason I do not know.

I am very unhandy. The directions for assembly are very poor. Anybody experienced or halfway intelligent could have assembled this quickly and correctly. I knew I didn't qualify for one, and it is now confirmed that I didn't qualify for the other, either. I assembled the item inside-out.

However, now that it's staked out, I don't see a reason to pull up the stakes and do it the right way. The tension on the poles and cloth is the same either way, and it covers the same area either way.

Note that when I got it, it came with a "free" extension (more fabric), which came with no additional instructions. And, like another reviewer on Amazon, I didn't get one of the bungee cords ... an odd configuration of cord and clamp I never did really figure out.

Anyway, this thing definitely cuts down on the heat, but on even a small trailer like mine, can't work miracles. It simply isn't big enough. The sun has all day to trace its long path, and this covers a small slice of it. But for what it covers, it is worth every penny.

I do have a problem in that my trailer, even with is awning, has no natural anchor points. On the ground, you have stakes, but up top, on the trailer ... what is there to attach it to? Not a thing. I managed to fumble-rig an attachment to an arm of my awning on the side toward the front of the trailer, and the hitch, with the included bungie, guy line, and then some more clamps from the dollar store once the wind shoved the cloth down from the top of my trailer where it had been kept mostly by friction. I can't see how most RV's would be any better, but perhaps there are perfect applications/attachments out there.

For me, it's about making it work "anyway," and how small it is when you need to pack it away. It fits in a very small bag, which is fantastic for the space-challenged.

And so far, I like it -- usable but directions are lousy to non-existent, very lightweight and compact. Hope it holds up, but who knows. Happy enough for now.
(06-28-2018, 10:51 PM)Dingfelder Wrote: [ -> ]I got this product. ......
I do have a problem in that my trailer, even with is awning, has no natural anchor points.  On the ground, you have stakes, but up top, on the trailer ... what is there to attach it to?  Not a thing.  I managed to fumble-rig an attachment to an arm of my awning on the side toward the front of the trailer, and the hitch, with the included bungie, guy line, and then some more clamps from the dollar store once the wind shoved the cloth down from the top of my trailer where it had been kept mostly by friction.  I can't see how most RV's would be any better, but perhaps there are perfect applications/attachments out there.

For me, it's about making it work "anyway," and how small it is when you need to pack it away.  It fits in a very small bag, which is fantastic for the space-challenged.

And so far, I like it -- usable but directions are lousy to non-existent, very lightweight and compact.  Hope it holds up, but who knows.  Happy enough for now.

you can create anchor point using the large suction cups. The kinds made for moving glass, Harbor Freight is a good place to purchase them. They also work as anchor points for suspending a tarp or one of the triangular shade sails.  Easy to put on, just wipe clean a section of a trailer or van that has a smooth enough surface to create good suction.