VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Liquidating possessions - split from RVers trash left behind........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(06-13-2018, 11:21 AM)altruisticvanbuild Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to mention though, you referred blm land and such as privilege to camp for free. If this isn't a human 'RIGHT" I don't know what is. Everything, including EVERYTHING you and I are is a gift from (whatever you want to call it) the ultimate source.  To make everything a thing of purchase is just the stunning arrogance of human beings to usurp everything that's not ultimately theirs for their own monetary enrichment.   Just sayin'.   Rich

This hits close to home for me right now...I am kind of "stuck" in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Why? I am trying to liquidate the contents of my U-Haul storage unit, which costs me $109.95/month. The problem is, as a tourist area everything around here is expensive. I was originally staying in an RV Park very close to the storage unit. The rate there was $175.00/week. I had to take a trip to CA for a wedding. When I returned the rate had gone up to $300.00/week!

I switched to a State Park only to find the rate not much better and no sewer connection. I've bounced around a bit since then since places have been booked so far in advance that it's nearly impossible, but even when I can find a place with a few days, the rates are what I was paying for my Mortgage payment. Once I can get away I will have more options. But right now I feel trapped by my circumstances. But, to the point you were making, even the "public lands" here are expensive! Like, Motel Room expensive! And most don't even have a sewer hookup.
my question is, you are paying 109 bucks a month plus campground fees for your stuff. is the stuff worth it? I don't know I am just asking. maybe you have gold, silver, and tools in there. but if you just have household item I say throw it in the trash and cut your losses. highdesertranger
Get what you want and leave the rest.  The owner will auction it off to someone thinking there's treasures in there.  I know someone is going to come behind me and be critical, but it is an option nevertheless.
(06-13-2018, 09:18 PM)A Savage Adventure Wrote: [ -> ] I am trying to liquidate the contents of my U-Haul storage unit, which costs me $109.95/month. I was originally staying in an RV Park very close to the storage unit. The rate there was $175.00/week. I had to take a trip to CA for a wedding. When I returned the rate had gone up to $300.00/week!

Is an acceptable seasonal rate available within reasonable distance? When I unloaded possessions I priced them to move and knew full well that I was incurring a loss but the end result ultimately was the win as the items were gone and I had a little dough. The toughest part of it all is knowing the value of something and intentionally incurring a loss. To battle this idea is the ongoing cost of keeping those unseen/unused items along with the thought of still being tethered by them. 'Tis the season in Idaho & points north but perhaps there is a seasonal spot for you so you can wind things up there.
To A Savage Adventure:
Break free from the oppressive hold of your materialistic belongings. Cut through the chains that anchor you and escape to freedom.
Oops, sorry, got carried away there.
Donate your things to charity or Goodwill.
Cut your losses and let your assets run free.
These things are holding you back from living and moving forward. Unload and don't think twice.

Move forward, your past attachments are holding you back.

Don't look back, a new day is dawning...

A little rockin inspiration,
Boston, don't look back, music video
https://youtu.be/gwrzggS_630
(06-14-2018, 09:38 AM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]my question is,  you are paying 109 bucks a month plus campground fees for your stuff.  is the stuff worth it?  I don't know I am just asking.  maybe you have gold, silver,  and tools in there.    highdesertranger

I like where you rank tools  Cool
Actually tools are the main thing I have there. I've been meaning to bring most of it with me, but I need to get a cap on my truck before I can bring extra tools along. I also want to bring my jack and jack stands. I've already wished I had them more than once. I already donated a lot f expensive things, including a $4,000.00 gaming system and another video editing PC worth about $3,000.00. I knew these items would be difficult to sell and I wouldn't get a good return on them, so they have new homes that really appreciate them.

I was also an electronics engineer for years. A good portion of things I saved were test equipment and bench tools, some of which are worth $5,000+ each. Since this constitutes my only income right now (selling my electronics off), I felt compelled to keep the storage unit. I mean, just one test tool that I can put on eBay would pay for the storage unit for a couple of years or more, but, I needed to be close to deal with the larger items. I don't mind giving those things up, but everything is kind of mixed in right now.

As for cutting my losses...I won't give up my tools...however I am considering packing up the more expensive things to bring with me and sell while moving on. It's this particular part of Idaho that's expensive and hard to find free camping resources. Once I start moving east again I should be better off.
^^^ eBay,
I actually have a few things up on eBay right now. Looking for a missing piece to one of my oscilloscopes. If I can find it then I will leave and deal with the rest later. Perhaps this weekend I will go clean house, so to speak.
Yeah, I'm an electrical engineer too. Hard to part with some of that type of stuff. Try Offerup. I found that if I allow nationwide, I get offers, offerup takes a cut and sends me a shipping label. I just sold a parabolic hunk of glass to someone in tucson. If not for that, I'd pbrobably be tossing it in the trash tomorrow. (I'm getting ready to move my business to a smaller space).

you may also want to try just having an auction for your locker yourself. Advertise it on craigslist, take some photos of the good stuff, let people look in but not touch, and then do an auction. You may be surprised, At the end of the day, you will end up with some cash, and they will clear the unit out. (Make that a condition of the auction.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4