VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Request & Policy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
New Written Policy: Do not advertise or invite members of the CheapRVLiving Forum to join another forum or website by private message (PM) or by email.

We have received an escalating number of complaints with copies of emails or private messages (PMs) with advertising and invitations to join other vandwelling-related forums.  Sometimes these communications come from someone who has given themselves an "administrator" or "moderator" name or title.  We've banned those individuals who have come to our attention thus far.

Please, we request that you continue to forward these messages inviting you to another forum or website to any of the real mods or admins so that we can take action. Use the "Meet Our Team" button below for contact links.

Note: The PM's and emails that you send and receive via this forum are private.  Our database has strict privacy controls so that not even I, as the administrator, have access to the contents of your messages.  Thus, we need you help to identify these "pirates."

Thanks much.
That seems Orwellian to me: Notice, turn in your friends for inviting you to look at something!

Suppose I invite someone to follow me on twitter, look at a video on my youtube channel, or 'friend' me on facebook (I'm not on facebook but still the invitations are always out there)....so that makes me a 'pirate' and subject to banishment?

What about all the members here who were sent to this website from somewhere else?

Please explain.
Could you mean there are many spammers attacking our vulnerable members? Are there fees involved?
(07-16-2018, 07:04 PM)VanDwellerMod Wrote: [ -> ]We have received an escalating number of complaints with copies of emails or private messages (PMs) with advertising and invitations to join other vandwelling-related forums.  Sometimes these communications come from someone who has given themselves an "administrator" or "moderator" name or title.  We've banned those individuals who have come to our attention thus far.

This is the reason for the new policy. I have not seen these complaints but it is my understanding that the emails and private messages are coming from people outside the forums who are not members and have only joined to spam members.

Forum members in good standing are welcome to post links to their websites, youtube videos, etc.
I got two of these. Could not find members listed so I deleted. Afraid of some kind of scam. One by PM, and one by email. It's one thing to mention you like another forum or website in  message., Bust sending private emails unsolicited is not ok with me.  I like Quaker oatmeal. See, that's ok. Lol
The word 'spam' or 'scam' was not used in the original post. 

That word could have helped to clarify the intention of the 'new written policy'.

Just sayin.....

Dodgy
I think it is completely fair that this privately owned website does not want its facilities to be abused soliciting members to join a directly competing forum.

I was so invited, maybe 6-8 months ago, by a person who was a moderator here at the time.

I quickly saw the quality was very poor, both of discussions and moderation driven more by profit and personality, and don't participate any more. I don't think any scam was involved other than that, and resulting bad information over there.

I do think open advertising of non-forum websites - blogs, wikis, whatever, should continue to be allowed as long as it doesn't get spammy.
(07-17-2018, 10:13 AM)John61CT Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is completely fair that this privately owned website does not want its facilities to be abused soliciting members to join a directly competing forum.

I don't think these forums are 'competing'. 

For instance, I have visited a number of other 'travel' or 'van' or 'RV' forums for the different 'feel' that each of them has. John, I have seen your links to the teardrops forum and a few marine based forums. All of those are intended to provide the recipient with helpful information.

I have also referred members to websites like the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums...when I thought it could help answer the question asked. They all complement each other, and aren't competing in the conventional sense. I don't see that as an 'abuse' of these facilities. There are plenty of internet users to go around.

I think the goal here is to help newcomers, and if they can get the information that they need, even somewhere else, then we have succeeded.

But, spam, or scam, or phishing, are a different thing entirely, most of us know it when we see it.
The particular forum I was referring to was specifically founded to compete with CRVL by disgruntled / banned members, IMO not least to use astroturf-promoting their paid services.

And immediately started PM'ing people here to build their membership.

Very shady and rightfully banned IMO.

Obviously that has nothing to do with providing helpful links to ongoing threads elsewhere, which I agree should continue to be allowed.
As far as I know Bob and all of the moderators do not have a problem with Gary and his forum. He and a small group of people wanted to go in a different direction and this forum wasn't a good fit. Many of the people on Gary's forum still visit and post on this forum which is fine. Helpful information from any member is appreciated.

This new policy is only aimed at stopping spam going to member's PM boxes and email accounts, not to stop members from posting links.
Pages: 1 2 3