VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Thinking about SD residency? some feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
MODERATOR:  If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move this. 

I recently started the process of establishing SD residency.  I was working with a particular provider and have had an unsatisfactory experience.  I am currently in the process of getting a refund.  I will not at this time mention a name.  
Depending on how they progress forward will determine what I post regarding them.  

I have not investigated other mail-service providers, so my experience at this time is limited.  I am aware that many people have had successful experiences.

Also, if the forum rules preclude doing this , I will comply.  There are OTHER venues to post service-provider feedback.
Can you please be more specific about exactly what part of the process put you off? Was it the mail service itself, or was it something about SD specifically? This kind of feedback is valuable for those of us who are trying to figure out the best way to get a domicile address.

From what I understand, the process is very simple: one night in a campground, then take the receipt to the DMV. Ideally, get a storage unit and store something in it. Register to vote. Done. Is this information incorrect?

Thanks!

The Dire Wolfess
The process was painless when I signed up with Americas Mailbox five years ago. Sign the paperwork, take it and the receipt for a night's stay to the DMV, show 'em the necessary ID, sign their document, look in the eye machine, have my picture taken and it was done. No big deal.

When it was time to renew my DL I didn't want to go back to SD or deal with the hoops of their online renewal process, so I changed my residency to a more convenient state. I also broke things off with Americas Mailbox because they gave me a bad time when I wanted to step down to a lower plan. They were jerks about it. So I found a forwarder in my new state.
(09-02-2018, 09:55 AM)Moxadox Wrote: [ -> ]Can you please be more specific about exa
Yes, it was the mail service.  As I said, when the process of getting a refund is complete, I will provide more details as to the entire process that I was dissatisfied with.  As long as the forum rules allow it.
It says a lot about the mail forwarder that the refund is a "process" instead of just handing you the money.
Are you trying to do this remotely, or are you in state?

I would not consider asking any mail forwarding service to help with legal domicile issues.

Unless I could not afford to visit the state in person.
John, I'm merely trying to get "SomeMailCompany"  to cancel and refund my $$$.  I am in CO at the moment. 

MrNoodly, correct.  In fact, they completely ignored my first request to cancel and refund.  Prior to the request, I was told by 2 people to be patient, as they are very busy.

Regards, 

Pat
(09-02-2018, 02:04 PM)John61CT Wrote: [ -> ]I would not consider asking any mail forwarding service to help with legal domicile issues.

Unless I could not afford to visit the state in person.

South Dakota is happy to let you use the mail forwarder's address as your residence. They encourage it, in fact. They get to count you in their census and get more federal funds without the inconvenience of you cluttering up the state and using their services. Totally legal.
I don't give a hoot what the state gov of SD thinks.

I care about all my service providers and other consumers of my "legal residential" address, and the database cleaning / blacklisting services they contract with.

Both now and in the rapidly changing future.

The state has no influence over these.

I am also not concerned about "legality".
I became concerned with "legality" when the state in which I am legally domiciled threatened to cut off my Medicare and vehicle insurances because they notice I'm not there a whole lot. It can get sticky.

The Dire Wolfess
Pages: 1 2 3