VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: True Grit - for noobees and wannabees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A lot of newcomers express ambivalent feelings about ... taking that final step into the ... Unknown. 

As a noobee myself, I've been following RV-Carolyn's exploits for the past year. This woman is tough. Currently in Alaska looking for grizzly bears and moose. Walking barefoot across ice-cold rivers and drinking water out of same. I also discovered that she hiked the John Muir Trail all alone at age 47. This woman is tough, and also very entertaining. And has advice for solo women. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfqr5I-..._ig/videos
http://aloneonthejmt.com/
She seems lonely based on the proliferation of videos.
Someone always makes that same comment about solo travelers. Obviously, there are 2 types of people in the world - those who know how to amuse themselves, and the other type.

I spent about 18 months total traveling alone in europe, and people I ran into always asked me, how can you do it alone. But everyday in europe was full of new adventures, and traveling with someone else would have been a daily negotiation.
(09-03-2018, 01:16 PM)QinReno Wrote: [ -> ]Someone always makes that same comment about solo travelers.

I've done lots of solo wilderness travel. Only once did I feel the need to take video of everything, and that wasn't even planned. Usually I'm lost in thought and/or enjoying the moment.  

For every minute of video, how many were spent setting up, shooting raw, editing, and interacting with viewers?  Where is the time to enjoy yourself?
And, as I think about it more, I'd say the same thing for couples. You can certainly still be lonely while with someone else.
(09-03-2018, 01:23 PM)WanderingCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]For every minute of video, how many were spent setting up, shooting raw, editing, and interacting with viewers?  Where is the time to enjoy yourself?
Well, video production is a problem, and Bob Wells talks about it all the time. So now he has an assistant to help. Most of the people with "successful" youtube channels do seem to spend an ... inordinate ... amount of time doing their video editing, which is obviously not what you and I want to do. I don't even take a camera. I just want peace and quiet.

But video editing is not the issue in this thread. RV-Carolyn has over 13,000,000 views which means her channel is highly successful, and she does seem to be enjoying herself, despite whatever you might think. I greatly enjoy her travelogue. 

However you cut it, the woman has guts.
(09-03-2018, 01:30 PM)WanderingCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]And, as I think about it more, I'd say the same thing for couples. You can certainly still be lonely while with someone else.
If you check, you'll see that she was in such a relationship and many years, and is very happy to be free of it now. That's the bottom line.
Yanno, evva-body diffunt.

By which I mean, if some folks enjoy using their time to immerse themselves in Nature, so be it. And if some people feel good expressing themselves in video-making, so mote it be.

The Dire Wolfess
I'm not sure your vehement defense is warranted. It was merely an observation from a nobody (me), and you've responded as though it was a personal attack.

Let me go at this from a slightly different angle, and encourage everyone to live in their own moment without the pressure to get more subscribers to their life.
(09-03-2018, 01:56 PM)WanderingCanuck Wrote: [ -> ]......... pressure to get more subscribers to their life.
I have watched a number of youtube channels from RVers. Most of them are boring as hell. Carolyn is happy and free as she could be right now, and a lot of people have been enjoying her message. That's good enough for me, and the reason I started this thread. Exact opposite of Tami and Rob and that other youtube woman who aren't worth watching.
Pages: 1 2 3