VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: LTVA Permits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
La Posa South LTVA
QUARZSITE, Arizona

FYI:
LTVA PERMITS are not ready.

Long Term Visitor Areas are provided for those who want to stay longer than the normal 2 week limit. There are pit toilets, garbage dumpsters, an RV dump station and water available. At $180 for a pass good Sept. 15 thru April 15, it's a pretty good deal. Being here early, I will be able to find a camp by a shady tree!

My roof is a Jeep and 19' trailer, so I can jump in the Jeep to visit friends and attend doings at the RTR. Or set up camp at the RTR and then go to any LTVA of my choosing afterwards.

I guess I don't know how to post a photo in this format. But it showed the sign on the office door saying the delayed printing matter should be resolved by Oct. 1 or sooner. They will fly the American flag when the printing order arrived.

[Image: 2ea09aecac678e06a25f3d89dbb6c3fe.jpg]
So, what are they doing as far as enforcing the 14 day rule in the meantime? Will they take your money for the LTVA permit before Oct 15?

The Dire Wolfess
The LTVA areas are not subject to the 14 day rule Moxadox, they are places where you can stay for the entire winter (or move between eligible LTVA's) after getting the LTVA permit. I say eligible because not all LTVAs are equal when it comes to services so some areas I can use and some I can't should I ever wish to use them.

As per the sign, anyone intending to utilize the LTVA areas are welcome to set up their camp and keep their eyes open for when the flag starts flying at the gate.
Great, that last sentence was what I needed to know. Thanks!

The Dire Wolfess
(09-15-2018, 06:42 PM)Almost There Wrote: [ -> ]As per the sign, anyone intending to utilize the LTVA areas are welcome to set up their camp and keep their eyes open for when the flag starts flying at the gate.

Last year when I arrived in one of the LTVAs to meet up with some friends, ironically, it was during the January 2018 government shutdown (which I was un-aware of as I headed west in the van). The building at the gate was closed, so there was no one to give my money to.

There were no rangers on duty anywhere, the dumpsters began to fill up, but otherwise, it was more or less business-as-usual and we carried on with camplife.

A several days later, a ranger came riding up on his little ute, and asked me why I didn't have a sticker on my windshield. I said, "Uh you know, the shutdown? There was no one to give my money to when I got here"...which was the truth.

He said what day was that? I said about 3 days ago, and he said well we're open now and I needed to go pay the fee.

Yes SIR! OK...yeah...got it. (pay the rangers salary, and LIKE it, dammit) 

But we were, you know, camping, about 2 miles from the gate...we couldn't see any flags flying or tell whether it was open or closed. My van was stationary, it's not like I drove thru the gate every day.

So I broke camp and drove to the gate and traded currency for the little sticker.

The moral of the story? Best to check that pole for a flag everyday...or have SOMEONE check for it everyday.

Irony here? I won't say it felt like I was handing the pirates the 'booty' when the Jolly Roger was hoisted, but it wasn't far off.

NOW you guys know the meaning of my tagline (Surrender the Booty, or in other words, You Gotta Pay to Play) being up there at the top of every one of my posts.
(09-16-2018, 06:19 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: [ -> ]NOW you guys know the meaning of my tagline (Surrender the Booty, or in other words, You Gotta Pay to Play) being up there at the top of every one of my posts.
Shows you how smart I am. I had always envisioned **you** as a Pirate Captain holding a sword and pistol, and making "everyone else" surrender the booty. Oh Foo.
(09-15-2018, 08:30 PM)Moxadox Wrote: [ -> ]Great, that last sentence was what I needed to know.  Thanks!
There was another thread about this a while back. At some of the LTVAs, like Midland, you need to be "totally" self-contained, meaning having grey and black water tanks installed, but others like La Posa and Imperial Dam, you can get by with parking within 500-feet of a toilet if not self-contained. The difference I guess is that some of them do not have the toilets on site.
https://www.blm.gov/visit/midland-ltva
I hate to say this but there are so many conflicting rules, passes and charges in our federally controlled lands and parks that are not enforced or enough employees to keep the gates open so you can pay your fees without making a mistake trying to pay on an automated machine that requires you bring your reciept back to get your sticker or pass when there is an employee there (sometimes months if seasonal employees man the gate) that I just flat refuse to pay until someone with a gun and a ticket book tells me I have too and when and where I can. Most times if they cann't afford to pay someone to man the gate then they sure cann't afford to take care of the area or worry about people displaying receipts. I know that is the situation in the area I am in. If I cann't see that my money is making a difference I won't pay until someone tells me I have too. Then I gladly do. Sadly that seldom is the case and I end up volenteering or try to do something to improve the area like picking up trash to pay for my stay. I do have a Senior Pass so alot of places honor it anyway. I'm old and onery but always grateful if someone can explain their fees and how to pay them but in general these days I don't pay till they make me.
I'm not sure why  and which rules you find so confusing Bullfrog.

If you can give an example of them, maybe we can help you sort them out for better understanding. If you're confused then you're probably not the only one so a discussion on any confusion can only help others as well!
(09-16-2018, 10:49 AM)QinReno Wrote: [ -> ]There was another thread about this a while back. At some of the LTVAs, like Midland, you need to be "totally" self-contained, meaning having grey and black water tanks installed, but others like La Posa and Imperial Dam, you can get by with parking within 500-feet of a toilet if not self-contained. The difference I guess is that some of them do not have the toilets on site.
https://www.blm.gov/visit/midland-ltva
Yeah, all I wanted to know was what do we do about the time we are camped on BLM while the office is closed. Like Tx was talking about. Question answered, all is well ;-)

The Dire Wolfess
Pages: 1 2