VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Perforated vinyl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So several days ago Bob Wells reposted a video on YouTube on installing perforated vinyl on windows.  I have a question but since the comments are disabled I guess I need to ask it here. 

The vinyl is installed on the outside of the window.  Will it last for a reasonable time, once it gets rained on?
I've had mine on for five years and it's like new.
Yep. If it is installed correctly, it will last almost the lifetime of the vehicle. That vinyl is the same stuff they use on commercial vehicles. I had an image printed on vinyl and then put on the windows of a minivan I used for a business I used to own. When it came time to sell that car, it was a bit of a chore to get that stuff off.

Two tricks to get it to last a long time:
1) Really clean the window first.
2) Do not stretch it at all while installing it. That tension will cause it to constantly pull back and that is what causes it to peel off years later.
Just for reference, I hope everyone is talking about the **exact same** material. VVivid.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CPKE1KW

The other question is, for the experienced users, does it provide adequate privacy at night when you have lighting on inside the van? I assume not. I suspect you can see right in, so it's not really "one-way" in any sense of the term.
If anyone is wondering how well perforated vinyl works at night, a ton of businesses use that as advertisement. Find a business that has that on one of their windows and look in it at night when the lights are on inside.

I am curious as to how well perforated vinyl would work on a tinted window. Might be quite effective compared to a clear window.
(09-16-2018, 08:12 PM)QinReno Wrote: [ -> ]The other question is, for the experienced users, does it provide adequate privacy at night when you have lighting on inside the van? I assume not. I suspect you can see right in, so it's not really "one-way" in any sense of the term.

Correct. It's like a screen door. You can see from the dark side to the light side. So if it's dark outside and light inside, you can see in. Some sort of opaque window cover would be required at night. Some people use curtains. I use a couple of pieces of Reflectix on my back windows. They're sized to press fit into place.
desert pin stripping will tear it up. highdesertranger
(09-17-2018, 08:16 AM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]desert pin stripping will tear it up.  highdesertranger

If someone has a habit of forcing their rig through spaces that are too small, they can apply the perforated vinyl inside.

(I've never gotten desert pin striping, since there less vegetation in the desert to brush against. Forest pin striping has been an occasional problem, though.)
haha, Noodly you make it sound like a bad thing. highdesertranger
I bet MrNoodly doesn't have a scratch on his shovel either. LOL I bet his resale value will be much higher than ours. I wonder if it would make the bed linner stick better to the glass?
Pages: 1 2