VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Will Dynamat Extreme work instead of Reflextic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I will be using Dynamat Extreme to deaden sound throughout my entitr floor and up to the side windows. Should I still use Reflextic on top of that the the pink solid boad then the flooring?

Dynamat
Reflextic
Pink insulation
Plywood subfloor
Flooring

Thank you 
Jeff
Reflectix is a radiant heat barrier only.

To work it requires a dead air gap between the metal wall and the reflectix.

Since I hope you're keeping the rubber side down, a radiant heat barrier will have little value on the floor. Putting in a dead air gap in the floor would require framing out the floor and then attaching the reflectix to the framing.

If you're going to put it on the walls, make sure you study up on it so that you are familiar with its' properties and how to get it to do its' job properly. Improper installation renders it a waste of time and money.

I studied the methods used to install it in metal buildings and then adapted that to use in the van. How I did it is detailed in my build thread (link in signature). The reflectix installation I did works as I intended it to.
I used just foam board and paneling on the ceiling and walls and kept the factory padded rubber mat in the floor in my van and it's quiet as a tomb. Dynamat is unnecessary. Besides, everything else you load in the van will also deaden sound.
Reflectix will do next to nothing under your flooring. If you want more insulation, use thicker foam. Most people will recommend adding extra foam to the ceiling instead, though.

You might not even need a subfloor depending on what flooring you plan to use and how much you plan on screwing things down.
Thicker on the ceiling when heating in cold weather.

More on the floor when aircon used against heat.

Same all round for both.

3-4" is great if you have the room.
I want the Dynamat Extreme more for sound deadening. I hate driving with road noise.
After I put down the Dynamite I will have 1/2" ferring strips and then the Reflextic attached to the ferries strips giving a 1/2" air gap. Then put down 1" or 2" ferring and put pink solid board in that grid. I guess I could go with flooring on top of that since I plan on real hardwood flooring.
Wall will be a similar approach.

Floor and wall
So it's:
Sound deadner
1/2" air gap
Reflextic
1" or 2" wood grid
Pink insulation board in grid
Hardwood flooring on grid. (I have a bunch from another project)

Does that sound ok?
Forget Reflectix, fill the space with foam.

100x more effective for thermal, and a million for acoustic.
Yes, what John61CT says. I put in dynamat extreme for sound deadening and it works great. Be careful smoothing it down with your hands -- the foil edges can give you cuts like papercuts. The company also has other products for thermal insulation which probably are good, too. Skip the reflectix.
(09-17-2018, 01:31 PM)JeffJones Wrote: [ -> ]I want the Dynamat Extreme more for sound deadening. I hate driving with road noise.
After I put down the Dynamite I will have 1/2" ferring strips and then the Reflextic attached to the ferries strips giving a 1/2" air gap. Then put down 1" or 2" ferring and put pink solid board in that grid. I guess I could go with flooring on top of that since I plan on real hardwood flooring.  
Wall will be a similar approach.

Floor and wall
So it's:
Sound deadner
1/2" air gap
Reflextic
1" or 2" wood grid
Pink insulation board in grid
Hardwood flooring on grid.  (I have a bunch from another project)

Does that sound ok?

I think this is overkill. Like I said, the stuff you carry in your van, like the mattress, bedding, clothing, food, etc. -- will deaden a lot of noise. As far as driving noise goes, most of it will come from the front of the van. Wind, engine, tires, radio... It's easier to wear ear plugs.

As far a thermal insulation goes, I think it's better to double up on the foam board than to mess with air gaps.
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated and money saved.
Pages: 1 2