VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Recycled Denim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have 2inch closed foam board insulation on the walls of my box. I am considering my roof now. The insulation value of Denim is decent. My plan is to cut out my roof panels and glue Denim insulation on each panel instead of roof. I will drill pass thru holes in alignment  the length of the roof. In these holes I will string perforated tubing from front to aft. ending in a gang, or manifold if you will. My Maxxair fan will be installed in one of the barn doors (Upper left barn door). The manifold will be positioned just behind and above the fan. There will be a forward manifold placed directly in front of one of the vents. The majority of the air draw will empty the box. A slight negative pressure will draw air from the from the perforated tube system removing heat and humidity from the insulation and out the fan. I will be testing this system in my van. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
The pass thru holes will be drilled thru the ribs to clarify. Thinking of making a venturi with a draw tube placed directly behind the fan and connected to the manifold to increase the draw.
Fluffy insulation, whether it's fiberglass, cellulose or denim, works by creating a dead air space between the interior and exterior. Sucking air through the insulation would negate that dead air space. Also, wherever there's tubing there isn't insulation. And unless you stay in very dry climates, you need a sealed vapor barrier to keep the denim from turning into a sponge. You vacuum system would be sucking out humid air and sucking in humid air.
There will be no dead air space to speak of. The insulation will be in full contact with the roof and the the ceiling panels. The tubing will be at the base of the insulation, enveloped by, same base. Integrity of the insulation will not be compromised.
Good point on the humidity. True it will suck in humid air.  But the negative pressure will draw humid air straight thru and will not allow it to disperse thru the perforated holes underlying the insulation because of the negative pressure.
anything 'not' created to resist mold and mildew and fast problems would not be something I would use. I would make it to last long term. A few dollars spent on 'true use' of what should be your insulation is where my money would go and no extra troubles would come your way hopefully.

but I get it if money is a true issue then I would default to a bunch of other options. Anything is better than nothing, but again, sometimes that really is not true in the long run.

I just see a black mold type problem happening but that is just my thoughts and any other troubles something like demin is going to draw. I could be wrong cause I am far from and insulation expert LOL but it is my thoughts that I wouldn't go that route but many others could sway me if it is a true and tested plan.
(09-29-2018, 08:23 AM)HalfShadows Wrote: [ -> ]There will be no dead air space to speak of. The insulation will be in full contact with the roof and the the ceiling panels. The tubing will be at the base of the insulation, enveloped by, same base. Integrity of the insulation will not be compromised.
Correction. The dead air space will not be compromised. The draw of air from the perforated tubing will not be great. Just enough negative pressure to remove and prevent any humidity in said insulation.
Why denim?  Denim is hydrophilic (meaning it attracts water) so unless your negative pressure system works and you plan on running all the time the denim will get wet.  When it gets wet it will grow mold.  Mold spores will get into the air inside the van.  You do NOT want to breathe mold spores.

You will need to encapsulate the denim in water impermeable bags to keep it from getting wet.  Or chemically treat it to repel water.  The repellent needs to be applied periodically, so you would need to remove the panels to administer.  You would also need to apply an anti-mold agent to keep mold from growing.

IMO there are better solutions.
(09-29-2018, 08:45 AM)RoamerRV428 Wrote: [ -> ]anything 'not' created to resist mold and mildew and fast problems would not be something I would use.  I would make it to last long term.  A few dollars spent on 'true use' of what should be your insulation is where my money would go and no extra troubles would come your way hopefully.

but I get it if money is a true issue then I would default to a bunch of other options.  Anything is better than nothing, but again, sometimes that really is not true in the long run.

I just see a black mold type problem happening but that is just my thoughts and any other troubles something like demin is going to draw.  I could be wrong cause I am far from and insulation expert LOL but it is my thoughts that I wouldn't go that route but many others could sway me if it is a true and tested plan.
Thank you Roamer for your input. Black mold is exactly why I am entertaining this idea of a humidity prevention in (Fluffy Insulation). I like to experiment in my environment. Will have lot's of time on my hands. That is why I opened this thread. Denim Insulation is treated for mildew. but that only goes so far. You and Mr. Noodly have brought up valuable points. My goal is to develop Ideas (think outside of the box). Understanding Physics Is a hurdle I would like to overcome. I am not trying to defend a thesis, just presenting a problem area to experiment with. Thanks again Roamer Big Grin
ahhh ha, are you thinking of this?
cause I am thinking fabric denim on this case LOL

Denim insulation is actually a combination of recycled jeans and post-industrial denim and cotton, not just denim. The fabric is shredded and treated with boric acid to make it flame retardant, and insect, pest, and mildew resistant.

I had no idea there was a 'denim' product out there that is meant for insulation purposes.
I guess it would come down to rv value then...…..I think it is a product you are chatting about and not a pair of jeans you cut up Smile Smile

a fast google makes me learn fast!
Pages: 1 2 3