VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Window coverings plus bug netting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using PCS Camper Conversion's youtube instructions for heat/cold/blackout window coverings, I completed the coverings for the far back windows of my 2011 Rav4. Including the hatch which was a bear! Before I start on the side windows, I'm wondering what ideas and experience anyone might have with insulated coverings that can also provide a bug screen at the top, in those cases (which are often) when I want to allow some air inside and still maintain some insulating and blackout power.

[attachment=21327]    [attachment=21328]
Maybe some of that one way sun screen would keep out larger bugs and allow some air flow so you could use a regular screen backing?
You must have well-controlled active high CFM ventilation for dwelling anyway.

To accomplish that along with "stealth" (if that is your goal) is **very** difficult.

I'd find a way doesn't involve the windows.

Also security
I use plain reflectix in the front side windows. I don't even try for stealth.

If I want airflow through the front windows while keeping the hot sun from shining in, I crack the front window, tilt the reflectix in at the top and put my no-see-um screen on the outside. I also have Weathertech rain guards on the front windows so it is hard to tell if the window is down a little or not. These even work when I don't use the screen.

You could modify this setup by putting your screen on the inside while still leaving your insulation tilted in at the top.
I found covering the reflex with black gorilla tape made the panels stiffer and they lasted several years as well as making the windows look tinted at night.
(10-21-2018, 08:12 AM)DebraOak Wrote: [ -> ]Using PCS Camper Conversion's youtube instructions for heat/cold/blackout window coverings, I completed the coverings for the far back windows of my 2011 Rav4. Including the hatch which was a bear! Before I start on the side windows, I'm wondering what ideas and experience anyone might have with insulated coverings that can also provide a bug screen at the top, in those cases (which are often) when I want to allow some air inside and still maintain some insulating and blackout power.

The roof hatch will be your best bet for having air coming inside while remaining stealthy. If you are going to read at night get one of the LED units that has a red bulb in it. Those are less visible to someone outside but you can still see clearly for reading. They are used on boats for the chart tables as they don't effect night vision the way a white light does. Marine supply stores sell lights, including battery operated ones,  that have the option for a white light or a red one.  You can also buy headlamps that have a red bulb in them. The other reason the hatch works best for opening it for ventilation is that LED lights are mono directional versus standard incandescent bulbs which send light in all directions. So an LED ceiling light won't be shining the light upwards and out of the hatch, it will be directing it downwards.

You can modify your hatch cover, cut out three sides of a rectangular shape in the center creating a flap. Then apply a section of screen wide enough to overhang the edges of that opening. Install some velcro so that you can then secure the flap back over that opening or if you want to have ventilation you can release the flap from the velcro bond so that the screen is functional. No one is going to see that screen section up on the roof top hatch, but they might notice a screen section open on the windows. It draws attention to have windows left open because people notice unsecured cars as it is not normal to leave a car window open when you are away from the car. Nowadays a little bit of red LED light inside of a car comes close to being normal because the security systems tend to have small, visible, red LED lights shining when they are active. It is the not normal things that draw attention and make you less stealthy.
maybe try car window rain guards.  this way you can let down the window at least 2 inches.  get black ones.  you can also velcro in some bug screen