VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Can you buy 1/4" foam insulation sheets?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just looked at Home Depot and didn't see anything like this, but I see 1/4" alleys on my van floor and would like to fill them in with strips.  I'm not crazy about the idea of slicing 1/2" foam in half.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jim
You can buy 1/4" plywood. It does have some insulation value.
Hey Jim - At Lowes or H.D, you might look in the area where they sell weatherstripping, or near door moulding or thresholds. Look for it on rolls.
DaveM
I used the 1/4" pink foam they sell at Home depot. It's not rigid like the 1/2" foam board, but it works great when glued down in those little alleys. It's a bit pricey because they sell it only in a bundle, but it does the job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cornin.../100320301
They don't sell this within 100 miles of me.  Guess it's not too popular.  I wonder what might be a good substitute.
I think that local insulation material availability depends on local building codes.

NJ HD's do not carry certain types of insulation that have been recommended on CRVL. I think it was the poly iso reflective type. NJ HD's carried only Owens-Corning pink stuff.

I don't think you'll find large sheets of 1/4 inch. Too floppy, easily damaged, hence the bundling of smaller pieces into a sales package.
(10-24-2018, 01:39 PM)VanTalk00 Wrote: [ -> ]They don't sell this within 100 miles of me.  Guess it's not too popular.  I wonder what might be a good substitute.

You could always order it to a local store. It's a shame you're not closer to me; I have about half a bundle or more left over from just doing my van. I'd be more than happy to give it to you.
They do sell 1/4 but you have to buy 50 feet of it:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FOAMULAR-1-4.../203604262
Yes you can get 1/4" thick foam insulation. But not as rigid insulation. You get it as EVA foam in rolls. It is good stuff, it not only insulates but it also deadens sound. The R value is comparable to rigid insulation of the same thickness. It is a closed cell foam, it won't absorb moisture. Just remember there is not a lot of R value in any insulation material that is only 1/4" thick. There are no miracle products available that can give you the R value of thicker insulation in a 1/4" thick material. Some of the underlayment products for click together plank flooring are made with EVA foam. That is likely going to be the best walk into a store to buy it option. You can cut it to size with scissors.
(10-24-2018, 05:32 PM)maki2 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes you can get 1/4" thick foam insulation. But not as rigid insulation. You get it as EVA foam in rolls. It is good stuff, it not only insulates but it also deadens sound. The R value is comparable to rigid insulation of the same thickness. It is a closed cell foam, it won't absorb moisture. Just remember there is not a lot of R value in any insulation material that is only 1/4" thick.

Good points.  I'll ding my local store to find out when they're going to get it in.

Thanks!