VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Solar "fairy" tiny string lights for campsite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I want to have these solar fairy string lights around my site to light my area at night. I want them around but NOT on my tent. Any ideas on what to use to string them on? These are commonly strung on fences, trees, railings, etc. I was thinking of stringing them between 2 stakes of some kind. In the desert would that work? Anyone have a better idea?
I don't place lights of any kind around my campsite. They drown out the stars and cause light pollution for others who like to stargaze. People literally come to the desert seeking dark skies. Learn to use a headlamp so you won't trip over things in the dark, but please leave the desert dark for others.

The Dire Wolfess
forget the above post as a must do....if you want solar fairy lights around your tent, you have them Smile Smile

What height are you thinking? The lower you go the easier it is for support. As in 2 'walking sticks' like my hiking poles that are adjustable in height can easily be stuck into the ground and give support for light weight light string. It would be anything you can put or secure on the ground, flexibility of what you are using and what they can hold without bending, then wind to consider of course. It is about height and then it is about thickness for not bending too much and be sure to put in deep enough to withstand wind etc.

You do have a lot of staking options actually.
I kind of agree with Moxie. I feel the same way about people who carry noise wherever they go, or about secondhand smoke. There is no way of keeping that "personal thing" confined to your personal space. You instead wind up forcing your choice on others.

And it's not a choice like "free cookies!" or the like. It's the kind of thing others commonly won't like.

I'm of the school that doesn't like anyone's choices foisted upon them.
well can we all say other's must live as we live or there is no alternative.
ya'll got to be kidding me here on this!

and the old school is to give up what one wants in life cause 'you' don't like it and might encroach on your personal air space

what planet and judgement call to others are you guys on?

plus being 'us' as in nomadic and more loner types, do ya think if you park to close to my personal space I should give up what I want for you cause you don't want it? OMG!

ugh, have to walk away from this thread before I go ape on ya'll Horrible me me me and screw other's thoughts so far. ugh and we wonder why life sucks???? now we can see why right in our faces from posts like these. I ain't go no trouble saying this either cause when you want to do your thing and another says nope, not cool, ya whine your rights are impeded and yet no other thought to anothers. omg, so narrow it is mind bogglilng!
"but please leave the desert dark for others"

dang does that mean I can't bring my Carbon Arc search lights,

http://www.victorysearchlights.com/victory2.html

highdesertranger
"...do ya think if you park to close to my personal space I should give up what I want for you cause you don't want it? OMG!"

What I don't like is the opposite. I am camped and some yahoo camps close enough that their music (not my kind of music) encroaches all the way to inside my van. No escaping it.
yes common respect for others. treat those around you like you would like to be treated. highdesertranger
(11-25-2018, 01:51 AM)cynanne Wrote: [ -> ]I want to have these solar fairy string lights around my site to light my area at night. I want them around but NOT on my tent. Any ideas on what to use to string them on? These are commonly strung on fences, trees, railings, etc. I was thinking of stringing them between 2 stakes of some kind. In the desert would that work? Anyone have a better idea?
As usual, I disagree with most responses here, as they were rather harsh directed towards a relative newcomer. 

Those little fairy lights are probably not bright enough to light up much of anything. For reference, there was a comment on another recent thread about how someone went into someone else's RV in the evening, and pooped inside in a pan or something, while the owner was at the campfire 100 yards or so away. 

FWIW, for a "solo woman" sleeping in a tent, and especially if you're off away from any crowds, I would recommend something like the following, and to hell with what anyone else thinks. Safety is #1. If you're with a group, then don't turn it on.

- https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-ZHMA...2942567587

If you're not with a group per se, it's a good idea to camp within say 150-feet of others, so not too close and not too far. The other thing, always use the "buddy system", especially wandering around at night. Safety is #1. A lot of other woman travelers have a very big dog, or some big guy stuffed in a closet, and available on demand.
I should add that the business with someone pooping inside someone else's RV supposedly happened at the first caravan stop in Ehrenberg. My guess is that, at get-togethers such as this, you're always going to have some opportunistic SOBs hanging around. Be safe out there. Be smart.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6