VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Reflectix on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all! Working on covering my windows, spent the day yesterday cutting out Reflectix to fit. Then I looked from the outside and you could see it in the window even with the tint. So.....I had an  and took the black cloth I had (free) and sewed it on the reflectix and it fits perfectly and you can't see a thing! 
BaaaWaaa! LOL

YAY! I'm glad you figured out something that works for you, and thanks for sharing it!

With Love,
Tara
I like your idea!
Thanks ya'al!
I got another  today after work. I knew I wanted some kind of curtains to brighten it up in there so I had some very nice silky material and thought why not just make a pocket and slip the reflectix inside it. Hmmmmm......well I did that and it really looks nice. I feel like I'm moving along. I also bought a couple of totes today from Walmart, one for dishes and one for the dog. 
Here are the pictures of the curtains. Probably should have ironed the material first tho. lol duh!

Awesome work!!!

When you get a minute, can you answer my 2 questions?:

1: How far are you stitching the stitches toward the edge of your Reflectix? Also, did you sew the entire edge of the Reflectix, or just the top & bottom?

2. Did you just push your finished product into the window? Does it just snug right in?

-thanks in advance

bobbert Wrote:

Awesome work!!!

When you get a minute, can you answer my 2 questions?:

1: How far are you stitching the stitches toward the edge of your Reflectix? Also, did you sew the entire edge of the Reflectix, or just the top & bottom?

2. Did you just push your finished product into the window? Does it just snug right in?

-thanks in advance

Hi bobbert,
I stitched about 1/4 inch in, just folded over the edges of my black cloth and where I had cut it unevenly....yeah...I did that, I just sewed it on one side, but yes, all the way around.
It snugged right in the window

Now, when I made the pockets one of them snugged in the other didn't and will need a bit of velcro or something to keep it in place. I don't mind because I really like my curtains and will do what I need to. Glad you liked it. Hope you find it useful. 
Marsha

cleanheart Wrote: Hope you find it useful. Marsha

Yes, I found it useful most definitely!

-gr8 work!!! 

-thnx again!

You're wecome!
I also made my privacy curtain for the front, Black material with pretty pink flowered material for the back of it. I wil slip in a piece of pvc pipe in the bottom so I can roll it up when not in use, using some velcro tabs to hold it in place. Haven't figured out yet how I'm going to hang it because the roof curves and if I put it straight across there is a gap at the top. I don't want to compromise the interior of the van as I will be selling it in a couple of years and want it to be nice. I'll figure something out.

My next project is to figure out how to get some kind of sleep system in there. The tail end of the Town and Country is narrow because of the wheel wells and cup holders and such, wish they hadn't put those in there. I'm only 5'3" and it's still short for me to lay across. I'm thinking of maybe laying katty cornered in it that way maybe Thor can just sleep with me. He's a bed hog tho so I'm going to have to work on this. 
I look around this place and see there is so much "crap" to get rid of. But I'll slowly get rid of things. I have given myself until June to get it all out so I'll get there. 
Marsha
Quote: Haven't figured out yet how I'm going to hang it because the roof curves and if I put it straight across there is a gap at the top.

Since you have a sewing machine and are skilled in its use, cut the top of your curtain to match the contour of the ceiling, make a pocket along this edge and slide in your pvc. Attach a string to the top midpoint of the curtain and tie it to the ceiling.
I like your window covers.
Very cool! If you have 5% window tinting (my windows weren't tinted at all, so I bought this "static cling" tinting) you can't see the reflectix AT ALL through the tint. Only problem is, the static cling tinting is really a pain to get just right.

Looks like you found a good solution, but just offering an alternative for anyone that's browsing!
Pages: 1 2