VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Ehrenburg AZ - Camping limit.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(12-27-2018, 09:34 PM)HalfShadows Wrote: [ -> ]Well that was the case at the time probably. Things change when it becomes high profile.

yep, another good campsite spoiled by disclosing it to the masses.  I'm with HDR on never releasing good boondocking sites on the internet.

Van dwelling would be a lot easier if youtube demonitized all accounts.
"Van dwelling would be a lot easier if youtube demonitized all accounts. "

ah the good ole days

highdesertranger
(07-23-2019, 07:12 AM)66788 Wrote: [ -> ]yep, another good campsite spoiled by disclosing it to the masses.  I'm with HDR on never releasing good boondocking sites on the internet.

Van dwelling would be a lot easier if youtube demonitized all accounts.

Yeah, the Rangers don't bother to enforce the stay limit because there are only a few people there and they are being neat and clean and cause no trouble. Then, those campers blab about it, and an entirely different horde of campers descend on the place. Next thing you know, the Rangers are out getting rid of everyone. If you find a good place where you are tolerated long term, keep quiet about it.
Yep.

Loose lips sink ships.
(12-27-2018, 09:34 PM)HalfShadows Wrote: [ -> ]Well that was the case at the time probably. Things change when it becomes high profile.

And why did it become high profile?
Wait, wait...   don't tell me!
The limits were always there. People just ignored the limits. It finally got noticed and is now enforced. Cry me a river.
Stayed in Ehrenburg once back in 2011. To get away from the trashed trailers and the criminals you had to go up on the mesa where the wind blows hard and cold. The views are not that nice and supplies are a drive away in Parker or, to a lesser degree, the Q. Had Thanksgiving there that winter with Bob and the original gang before the high profile thing started. I think Ehrenburg was one of the worst places I ever stayed, never went back, and have never understood why people go there since there are some fantastic spots actually in the same general area. No, I won't divulge them. (<;
I agree with the above posts in many ways. Many people for some reason think it is okay to stay in one place for longer than it is allowed, participate in activities that destroy the environment, and cause congestion and problems for the local area. People with the right equipment can stay in the long term stay areas for the entire winter right in Quartzsite for very little money. I think that is one of the biggest challenges we face is the 10 gallon black tank requirement for those that are in something other than an RV. Either we need to work with the BLM to maybe allow the use of porta potties or find a cheap way to convert those vehicles to meet the requirements. Staying in remote places, long term, without a good useable way to deal with trash and human waste that people are willing to use not to mention pet waste is just going to make this lifestyle more difficult for everyone. Hiding from the problem is going to become impossible as the number of people increases that have started to live this way. We need to as a group deal with these kinds of problems and offer good solutions if we expect to continue living this lifestyle.
Wish I could wave a magic wand and make the destroyers of this lifestyle fly right. I think what is happening there is a lot of druggies that trash a place and try to overstay. There are probably a lot of people that just don't know better too.
Probably a big generalization. I don't have any answers that will fix things, wish I did.
I was in Quartzsite at the Dollar General the other day with a couple of friends. I was outside waiting in the putt-putt and a gal walked to the front of the store, put down her huge back pack and settled down on the cold cement with her dog.

She was one of the Quartzsite bunch that people call, “The Dirties”. I watched her settle in and she was panhandling here and there as people came in and out of the store. She seemed a bit “off” as some do and I suspected some kind of mental illness. She was exceedingly dirty looking with wild unkempt dreads and ragged filthy clothes of the many people who camp very near the main streets of Quartzsite.

I saw a man come out of the store and approach her. He was probably around fifty years old maybe but I wasn’t paying that close of attention. I saw him push his cart her way then just stand there looking down on her for a bit. It wasn’t long but was long enough to get my attention as something perhaps out of place or out of the ordinary.

He finally asked her if she wanted a case of water (he had three cases in his cart). She said yes and he placed one beside her and just stood there a bit too long.

He finally moved off and I figured that was that. I was watching her well behaved and well kept dog when a bit of movement caught my eye. I turned to see the man standing near his car watching her way too intently. He glanced at me and saw that I was looking at him. He got in his car and just sat there.

This time of year there can be very long lines in the Quartzsite stores and my friends hadn’t returned yet.

I couldn’t think of a reason he would give her all that weight to carry out of there then just sit around waiting for her to leave or? Something just didn’t seem right and I asked her where she was staying. She told me in a camp in Scadden Wash and I asked her if she wanted a ride back. She said she was hoping to stay a bit to get money for dog food.

I called in to my friends and asked them to get a bag and I’d pay them. When they came out I gave her the food and asked again if she wanted a ride. To my relief she accepted (the weird guy was still watching her from his car).

We took off to take her home and I could see the guy leaving in my rear view mirror. I took her to her camp and it was a MESS. There were a bunch of others sitting together under a tree and there was trash all over the place. There was a couple of school busses there which must have been theirs. Anyway, dropped her and hit the trails to go back to camp.

I guess I’ve posted this as a warning to single women out there. Just watch and be very aware. Also please keep your camp tidy so we all don’t get the boot one day.

I think he gave her all that added weight for a reason. Would she have accepted a ride from him when she got ready to go so she wouldn’t have to walk the miles back to her camp? Be careful out there folks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5