VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Warm Weather Insulation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am mostly in FL (hot and humid) and wondering what, if any, insulation I should use?

Fiberglass high top. 

Thinking of using a heat reflective paint on the outside. Reflectix will not seem to work here as it would just heat up the topper? 

Please advise, thanks!
This may be useful for you:

Insulation and Hot Weather:

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sho...?tid=26753

Sadly, keeping cool in summer is a lot harder than keeping warm in winter, and there really is no good cheap solution. Running any sort of AC is really not an option unless you have shore power, a generator, or a really big solar panel system (and that will cost mucho bucks). Without an AC, the best you can do is use ventilation to keep the inside temp the same as the outside temp. My solution for hot weather is simple and low-tech---I'm not in the van during the hot days. I do all my housekeeping in the morning before it gets hot, then I spend the entire day elsewhere, at a library or museum or mall or whatever. If it's still hot in the van when I go back in the evening, I put on a wet t-shirt and aim a small fan right at me. It's worked for me everywhere from Miami to Tucson.
Lenny, thats a good tip. When I go on long trips on my motorcycle in the summer I use one of those neck wraps that I soak in ice water for a few minutes.. I dont remember what they are called but they really help cool you off. You can get them at Walmart.
^^ They're like little bitty swamp coolers, but they put all the evaporation right where it will do the most good.

Smile
good replies. you really can't insulate against the heat unless you have AC. I just move where it's not so hot. also like Lenny said don't be in your hot vehicle all day.

I also use the neck wraps. I have a few so I always have one ready to go.

highdesertranger
Shade and ventilation.
WOW, thanks for the fast responses. 

Keeping cool with my cat might be an issue as she would be in the van all day. I'd rather be in the van too all day. If I can get it to stay around ambient temp, that will suffice for now. Going to try to rig something up as I don't have AC (yet). --Looking at active ventalation. 

So apparently this was a good read and found: "The iron laws of thermodynamics mean that while insulation does a quite good job at helping to keep a van warmer in the cold, it cannot do a very good job at helping to keep a van cooler in the heat. If you will be spending winters where it is very cold, you may find an insulated van useful. But if you will be spending your time where it is very hot, it will not be very helpful for you."

So that's good, no need for insulation. 
About reflecting radiant heat... reflectix on the inside under the topper and against the wall (with the air gap) OR reflective paint for the outside?
Unless you need to park up out in the sun to run your A/C off solar, shade is your friend.
(06-29-2019, 09:54 AM)KozVan Wrote: [ -> ]So that's good, no need for insulation. 
About reflecting radiant heat... reflectix on the inside under the topper and against the wall (with the air gap) OR reflective paint for the outside?

Bob Wells has put out some good videos on youtube on this subject. A good place to start your education on this subject would be to watch the video series on staying cool. The goal is to keep the Van at ambient temperature rather than having it rise above that. The only way to get lower than ambient air temperature is to refrigerate the space with AC.

To keep the heat from elevating when parked in direct sun shining on the van you need to put the reflective material on the exterior of the van. White paint is about as effective as reflective paint. But a reflective coated tarp suspended over the van will be considerably more effective than reflective paint or white paint. No matter the color of the paint if you can keep the sun from directly shining onto the metal then the metal won't become such a major heat sink. That means putting the van in the shade or using some type of covering to create your own shade if there are no trees or tall buildings to shelter under.
When I lived aboard my sailboat, we would string tarps to shade the cabin top to make it cooler inside, and I have seen people set up a sunshade completely over there camping tent to keep the temps a little cooler inside.
Pages: 1 2