VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Disaster w/insulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(11-09-2019, 01:21 PM)crofter Wrote: [ -> ]So my Liquid Nails Project glue is still drying.... but requires 24 hours before applying any type of stress to the glued area. Liquid Nails recommends bracing or clamping the adhered surfaces for 24 hours, taking a full week to completely cure to maximum strength" 
I removed the bracing today, seems solid. Due to the curvature of the roof, the panel sags a little at the end. To eliminate this, you could score the panel before gluing to relieve the stress. Insulating the roof took one 4X8 sheet of XPS. Next step, applying the finish layer.    ~crofter
[attachment=24884]
Bad news for Liquid Nails Projects Interior, the glue failed on the third day. I did meet the guru of glue at Home Depot today and explained the difficulty. The guru of glue (mfg rep) advises Liquid Nails Extreme Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive. Says it will bond from 22 degrees F to 120 degrees F and is listed for foamboard, and exterior use. Guru says van ceiling is really a heavy duty exterior use. About $4 a tube.    -crofter
(11-12-2019, 09:58 PM)crofter Wrote: [ -> ]The guru of glue (mfg rep) advises Liquid Nails Extreme Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive. Says it will bond from 22 degrees F to 120 degrees F and is listed for foamboard, and exterior use. Guru says van ceiling is really a heavy duty exterior use. About $4 a tube.    -crofter
I got a really good upper body workout today scraping off all the failed glue. Ambient temperature outside the van was 60 degrees, and dropped to about 50 degrees now. Heated up the interior of the van before glueing. XPS Foamboard is back on the van ceiling using two tubes of Liquid Nails Extreme Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive. Propped everything in place after trimming panels a skosh to make sure there was no stress on the glue bond. Glue is labelled to bond from 22 degrees to 120 degrees, but I am heating the van anyway.    ~crofter 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liquid-Nails.../205089262

24 hours into the dry time and it feels pretty secure up there. Pulling out some braces now and driving to test the bond. I am covering it with reflectix for snugness and light reflection up there, and will add a few quarter inch stringers just in case. I will miss the roof ribs for hanging things off of, so will have the stringers to use instead. 
Notice on the chart that the same glue is not always recommended for both XPS Foamboard and metal, just two are.   ~crofter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liquid-Nails.../205089262
[Image: 1138992.jpg]
I'm a very late comer here, but have you thought about attaching wooden sheets to the metal cross-struts of the roof, and laying the insulation on top of that?

I bought some of these paneling pieces last summer but haven't gotten around to doing the inside roof as yet. As it turns out, these pieces fit exactly congruent with the metal struts and sides of the roof of my Savana van. They seem to be pretty robust.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-.../302980500
(11-14-2019, 10:51 PM)Qxxx Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-.../302980500

Those are pretty and will look nice up there in your van. For my van the plan is to have a reflective ceiling. The second glue job with Liquid Nails Extreme Heavy Duty seems to be holding up. Actual cure time will tell. Planning to use the same glue on the reflectix and a few wooden stringers. -crofter
Yeah, I did perceive shiny from our previous posts. I guess a shiny varnish doesn't cut it. FWIW, the opposite side to the birch veneer is a white coating of some sort. In any case, I'll passively watch your proceedings from here on out, and see how it goes with you and TA, lol.
(11-14-2019, 11:22 PM)Qxxx Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I did perceive shiny....
And warm, lightweight, easy to clean. There is very little weight in the top half of my van to keep it from rolling when I am taking a corner. All of the weight is low. To have heavy stuff up high, I would have to improve my driving skills.  -crofter
Note, I'm being passive now. Just watching.
(11-14-2019, 11:54 PM)Qxxx Wrote: [ -> ]Note, I'm being passive now. Just watching.
But you'll be laughing if it all falls off again. HDR also told me to use wood.  -crofter
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5