VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Best insulation for your van
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reflectix is for good for sealing off windows, but something thicker, with higher "R" value would be wise for the other surfaces. An air gap engineered into your build is always going to out perform the same van with no air gap (rather like woodstove heat shields).
Did you use a non-vented heater in that van?
(01-03-2020, 07:31 AM)ckelly78z Wrote: [ -> ]Reflectix is for good for sealing off windows, but something thicker, with higher "R" value would be wise for the other surfaces. An air gap engineered into your build is always going to out perform the same van with no air gap (rather like woodstove heat shields).
Agree. I just finished my van ceiling with 1 inch XPS R7 and covered with reflectix which added R3, so I have R10 on the ceiling.  It was awesomely warm in there last night (no heater either). For anyone struggling with glue, after 3 glue failures I took the advice of a member on here and used a hot glue gun. Then taped the seams with aluminum tape, and hot glued the reflectix onto that, and taped the edges with aluminum tape.  It looks really nice, kind of like ocean waves on the ceiling the way it picks up soft lighting. I plan to add some ribs in case any of the glue lets go on a bumpy road or something. Walls are also insulated with 2 inches of XPS plus reflectix. Floor insulated with reflectix and half inch plywood.   ~crofter
Anybody considering wool? I have read some info on it that sounds good but... looking for opinions of others.  Yes I know the cost is high.
crofter, where did you get the info that Reflextix is R-3 everything I have seen says maybe R-1 and IMO even that is stretching it.

outermost, I would not use anything that can absorb moisture.

highdesertranger
https://havelockwool.com/van-insulation-products/

My next build will be wool insulation.

At the moment, my strategy would be to mount furring strips, then screw panels to the furring strips while stuffing the gap between the panel and van body with wool. I haven't done a lot of research on it though.

A friend of mine built his Ford Transit (the larger type Transit) with wool insulation. He said he needed slightly more than one bale which cost about $300.
(01-04-2020, 09:07 AM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]crofter,  where did you get the info that Reflextix is R-3 everything I have seen says maybe R-1....
When you buy the large roll at Home Depot, there is an included sheet that specifies R values based on application. You may be able to read this from the outside of the roll also. My application placed the reflectix over insulation layer which was R3. However because I have metal studs and not wood it may be lower. It does warm up fast now and stays warm. Next project: insulate the cargo door.  -crofter
You added r1 to r7. Reflectix is only r3 if you also included additional insulation to the r7 insulation.

https://www.reflectixinc.com/about-refle...-r-values/
yeah I thought on the Reflectix web site it stated that the R value was R-1. highdesertranger
It is possible that the application sheet included with the product is based on hot air and not science. So far it is working nicely for me.  -crofter
Pages: 1 2 3 4