VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Best insulation for your van
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(01-04-2020, 08:10 PM)skyl4rk Wrote: [ -> ]https://havelockwool.com/van-insulation-products/

My next build will be wool insulation.

At the moment, my strategy would be to mount furring strips, then screw panels to the furring strips while stuffing the gap between the panel and van body with wool.  I haven't done a lot of research on it though.

A friend of mine built his Ford Transit (the larger type Transit) with wool insulation. He said he needed slightly more than one bale which cost about $300.
That is the company product I was looking at.
I like the idea of the "wool" that would be easier to stuff into crevices, and voids than rigid polyiso. I need insulation for temperature concerns, but maybe a bigger reason is for sound control...I don't generally want to hear other people, traffic noise, or barking dogs when i'm trying to sleep.
1” is r7 value, closed cell, mold and water resistant, easy to install and form to the walls with spray adhesive, i ordered 4 sheets and can’t wait to install, might have to wait until it warms back up to apply the adhesive though

http://www.kflexusa.com/HomePages/MarketsHome.aspx?ID=36&productID=24&line=5
sheets are 3’x4’
New member here. I can't believe there is an on going debate on this subject. Mold, Moisture, R values, sound etc.
I would think that "best practices" on this subject would be figured out a long time ago.

Guess not.
The one thing reflictix will do for you is eliminate cold spots where the metal ribs come close to your wall finish on the inside. So far great performance in some pretty miserable conditions. -crofter
Attributes like mold resistance & NON TOXIC would be the main priorities i would look for....R-value is one thing...BUT i wouldn't want to be breathing the TOXIC fumes associated with some chemical adhesives, etc....
(01-12-2020, 11:36 AM)wfopete Wrote: [ -> ]New member here.  I can't believe there is an on going debate on this subject.  Mold, Moisture, R values, sound etc.
I would think that "best practices" on this subject would be figured out a long time ago.

Guess not.

Best practices depends entirely on what one is looking to achieve in insulation.

If you're planning on following the sun then minimal insulation is all that's needed.

If you intent to spent the winter in a cold clime snowboarding then it's an entirely different need than sun followers.

If you spend most of your year in humid environments then mold needs to be considered, If you live in the desert, mold is extremely unlikely.

If you  have sensitivities to certain products then that must be taken in to consideration.

As you can see, it's not a case of one size fits all!!
I did the following

Thinsulate SM-600L everywhere (except the floor), stuffed the ribs, glued it to the walls and ceilings. Covered pretty much everything flat and stuffed it behind all the ribs. On the top part of the walls and ceilings I used 3/4 polyisocyanurate sheets. On the floor and lower wall I used 1/2 inch XPS sheets.

I am very warm and have no condensation issues. (but I also do not use a combustion heater in the interior of my vehicle). I am also quite cool in the summer.

I probably went overkill, but it reduces energy use and keeps me comfortable, so it is working.
reflextix is pretty much useless in a van build, the only time is has an r value of any sort is with an airgap which when its attached to the metal skin of your van it doesnt have, the heat or cold is transferred right through it. It has 0 business being in a van, just like pink fiberglass house insulation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4