VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: California City and the Mojave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(11-25-2019, 04:09 PM)wayne49 Wrote: [ -> ]California City was the brainchild of a Sociology professor/Real estate developer. Interesting combo.
He wanted to create a model city to rival LA, except without access to the Pacific Coast.
Something like this is also true of the land around the Salton Sea. At one time it was supposed to be the next Palm Springs, but flopped. I stayed at Salton Sea SP on the east side, and asked the host where the fresh water was coming from. He said it was city water piped down from Indio and explained the resort idea fiasco. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_City,_California
"Although planned and developed as a large resort community with an extensive road, water, sewer and power grid capable of supporting 40,000 residents on 12,000 residential lots,[3] demand for property in Salton City fell drastically short of the planners' expectations".
well it's basically 90% BLM land. so you can boondock anywhere on the BLM land. watch out for the sandy washes which are plentiful. no 4x4 no go. stay out of the military bases and off private property and you will be fine. My Land Matters shows all this. highdesertranger
Wasn’t trying to talk about Cal City specifically but rather in the context of the Mojave. My beautiful Joshua Tree got discovered for a while ( nobody ever used to be there) but even that has quieted down. As far as Twenty Nine Palms et al in my lifetime while I’ve seen the coastal counties be overbuilt to within an inch of their lives (yeah I remember when Orange County was orange groves) the Mojave has never really caught on. You have to truly love the desert to love most of the California desert and for a lot of people it’s either they can’t afford anything else or it’s the in thing and it fades with time.

I love all the old ghost towns. I have a friend who works in Borax and we’ve explored the area and I’ve gone rock hounding with my Rock and Mineral Society.
As far as Cal City I taught several years in the prison there and lived in Rosamond and the crime was nothing compared to Los Angeles where I’m from. My mother lives in one of the wealthiest communities in the state ( Palos Verdes) and her tiny tract had 50, yes 50 burglaries in one month in the summer and one home invasion plus constant mail theft. Last week four cars were broken into.

In three years neither I nor any of my neighbors, coworkers or friends had anything bad happen in Kern County. See, the area is filled with military ( Edwards AFB) and prison personnel all of whom are armed so crime is much lower than statistics on Wikipedia. It’s like South Central where I taught 20 years, the crime stats are through the roof but it’s gang members assaulting each other. People live there. It’s a community. And it’s normal. I walked the streets, went to peoples homes, birthday parties, checked on students etc.
But according to the media it’s a war zone. LOL. I’ve seen several drive bys but they were gang members against gang members.

But that’s ok. My beloved desert will stay empty and I will still have my escape.
(12-02-2019, 07:58 AM)LERCA Wrote: [ -> ]My mother lives in one of the wealthiest communities in the state ( Palos Verdes) and her tiny tract had 50, yes 50 burglaries...

Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks. He replied, "Because that's where the money is."
(12-02-2019, 07:58 AM)LERCA Wrote: [ -> ]I love all the old ghost towns. I have a friend who works in Borax and we’ve explored the area and I’ve gone rock hounding with my Rock and Mineral Society.

Have you heard of Wonderhussy? She has a youtube channel of mostly visits to ghost towns in Nevada, California and Arizona.
No I haven’t heard of her but now I’m excited to see her channel. I love desert tiny town and ghost towns. There are some fascinating places.
Mr N,
Nobody keeps money at home. They use the bank and they have a few TVs and iPads and things but this is a laid back beach city community not a flashy place like Beverly Hills where people have far more consumer goods. But now everyone is getting Ring and signing up with security companies and the sheriff response time is minutes. They are literally stealing change and phones. The big problem is ( and before you speak remember as goes California goes the nation) there is no longer a middle class. There are people who have and those who don’t. That’s the issue and I don’t foresee it changing.
I don't know about "as goes California goes the nation" especially in poor southern states but a few years ago it was not uncommon in eastern Kentucky for someone to try to steal your aluminum storm door or the copper pipe from your house sometimes even when someone was home. Change and phones would be the jackpot for those people and I imagine lots of them have headed to California for "easy pickens"!
(11-25-2019, 01:18 PM)Qxxx Wrote: [ -> ]@sailor, what can you say about the area around Garlock ghost town, a bit east of RRCSP, for boondocking? Looks nicely out of the way of both 14 and 395.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlock,_California
@Qxxx - Haven't been to the ghost towns, but I know there are books/directories on them. Think HDR is likely one of the best sources on those.
Pages: 1 2