VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Best heat/cold resistant vehicle (before adding insulation)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any thoughts on which kind a vehicle would have the most inherently insulative properties? 

I do love the idea of a pickup with a cap topper / canopy but I figure that's the worst option. From there, I assume it it goes up to something like a motorhome. 

Of the vehicles I'm interested in, I guess the range (least to most) may be something like this:

•Pickup with canopy/cap
•Suburban
•Non insulated cargo van or compact cargo van
•Minivan
Please let me know if I'm completely off track or whether the temperature in heat / cold would be negligible between these different options (assuming no additional insulation).

Thanks!
You could purchase a used, small, refrigerated box truck or van. That will give you excellent insulation. I see them on craigslist quite often and on websites for used commercial vehicles. They usually have smooth interior walls and floors that are easy to clean. No windows in the refrigerated box area and most often there is no pass through door from the cab to the box.
There is an insulated diesel Grumman Kurbmaster on the Seattle craigslist. They built a partition wall at the front and lined it with plywood. It also has steel hold down extrusion strips running from top to bottom along the length of the box. That would make it very easy to securely fix cabinets to the wall. It is wired with 12v lights and 110v receptacles. Just needs plywood on the floor to finish it up. Then add in your furniture, water, propane, solar and house battery system. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d...28783.html
Sometimes on govt auction sites i see old radio/surveillance type vans that are insulated, have heat/ac, etc. Like an ambulance. Also no windows like what maki was talking about, and some have a bunch of electronic stuff that may or may not be helpful. Probably heavy.
(02-15-2020, 05:39 PM)Linda_Sue Wrote: [ -> ].... or whether the temperature in heat / cold would be negligible between these different options (assuming no additional insulation).

IMO there would be very little difference between those vehicles.  The cargo vans & PU with shell would only be cold steel on the inside. With a passenger van or Suburban, at least you would have mostly warm upholstered surfaces. But also a lot of cold glass....

Have you thought about the inconvenience of getting into and out of a pickup w/camper shell?  Like when it's raining or when you want to leave in a hurry? Or you forgot something in the cab?
(02-15-2020, 06:05 PM)maki2 Wrote: [ -> ]You could purchase a used, small, refrigerated box truck or van. That will give you excellent insulation.  I see them on craigslist quite often and on websites for used commercial vehicles. They usually have smooth interior walls and floors that are easy to clean.  No windows in the refrigerated box area and most often there is no pass through door from the cab to the box.
Interesting!! Thanks!
(02-16-2020, 02:46 PM)highest_vision Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes on govt auction sites i see old radio/surveillance type vans that are insulated, have heat/ac, etc. Like an ambulance. Also no windows like what maki was talking about, and some have a bunch of electronic stuff that may or may not be helpful. Probably heavy.
The FCC uses vans for catching the people tacking down people who are illegally using the wrong radio bands. For sure those might show up on the Federal surplus auctions and then later resold by the winning auction bidder.