VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: gasin' myself?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I seem to be much more sensitive to smells lately.. it has become more intense since I have been spending more time in the van.

I used low voc every chance I got. I really feel as tho it is all a making me fatigued and I have had a few strong headaches.
Of course I have also hit my head pretty good a few times. Those damn side door top latches!

I of course am venting via the windows and doors as possible. Is there something that I can spray or burn to clear this a bit.? 

Smelling pretty is one thing but I don't mask nasty and would prefer to remove the chemicals rather than cover their presence.

My sensitivity has increased such that I could smell a 2x2" strip of tape from about 13 feet away... if this keeps up I will be able to find ALL the Christmas presents or a job with border patrol.

Any suggestions?
I was gonna try the ol" burnt toast/popcorn trick. I know it is a great odor remover..not sure of the science.. does the char cleanse fumes?
Maxxair fan...….
Are you drinking enough water ? Apart from smells, sometimes headaches can be related to not drinking enough water especially as it is hotter ATM in your hemisphere.
(06-01-2020, 11:19 PM)desert_sailing Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to be much more sensitive to smells lately.. it has become more intense since I have been spending more time in the van.

I used low voc every chance I got. I really feel as tho it is all a making me fatigued and I have had a few strong headaches.
Of course I have also hit my head pretty good a few times. Those damn side door top latches!....
You will need to fix that headbanger. You can glue a pool noodle on it or some other type of pad. Also a dangle of some type works to stop you, I have seen beaded curtain or even chain links is softer than charging into your cargo door header. 

On the smells, continue to air out the interior and do a good house cleaning including laundry. During the cleaning, inspect any propane, gas, or spray bottles for leaks. I keep this stuff enclosed in a bin or cabinet or in the van's garage. 

Wash the floor and other surfaces with a mild soap to not add more fumes.

I use a large size dry-bag to store my dirty laundry yes it is that bad. The dry bag contains any smells.  Don't forget to wash or air the bedding. I use a zip off mattress cover so I can even wash that.

I use stinky polyurethane to waterproof wood surfaces in the van. The smell only lasted a few days, but was bad for a while. Hope that helps.
-crofter
Any kind of maxx fan system wont be able to run much on my little 100 watts 35ah.

I just did a bit of search and found that houseplants are effective?

https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/the...or-toxins/

Maybe a couple aloe, tho not on that list was ranked on another as pretty good.

I could maybe get a peace lilly and some of those boston ferns?

Do any of you have plants to clean the air in your rigs?

I definitely have NOT been drinking enough water and I am sure it also has been affecting me. Thanks for pointing that out rokguy.
maybe it is the soap you are using on body or clothes.
(06-01-2020, 11:56 PM)maki2 Wrote: [ -> ]maybe it is the soap you are using on body or clothes.
Same soaps for years... only thing that has changed has been sleeping in the rig. Adhesives.. paint.. carpet.. vinyl.. glues..wood with likely formaldehyde.

Ima be a potato in a week if I don't get this fixed asap.

Honest officer sir.. its the voc's.
Some think it helps with your immune system in preventing COVID definitely can’t hurt and it’s good for your energy level. Add some D3 too another one some think keeps the COVID away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any product with “fragrance” in the ingredients list gives me a potent headache, especially in a small space. Soaps, shampoos, lotions, laundry detergents, household cleaners, even trash bags can be culprits. If you use scented products of any kind, it might be worth going without them for a few days and seeing if it makes a difference.

The label “fragrance” is an umbrella term for any of about 3,000 different synthetics, most of them petroleum derivatives. Because it’s so broad, if you have a sensitivity to any of them, it’s hard to pin down which one. I find it safer to stick with “named” scents (e.g., lavender oil), which I know from experience I don’t react to.

If you want to try plants, maybe stick with evergreen garden plants rather than houseplants, which are happier in the even, controlled temperatures of a...house? Rosemary, e.g., or sage or lavender, which of course are also handy for cooking.
This may be helpful -  This person has serious chemical sensitivities so she used an Ozone generator to remove the chemicals from her van interior. Post 6 explains the process. The photos should show if you click on the links. https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=13521&highlight=off+gassing
Pages: 1 2