VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Feeding the wild life
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When we go camping, we will often hang a bird feeder to attract song birds.  We love to wake up and hear them singing.  I know the rules vary from location to location and differ between national and state parks.........but what are your thoughts on the matter?  Some people think its wrong to feed the wild birds unless you plan to continue doing so.  We think it enhances our stay and provides the wild life with good eats.
Wildlife doesn’t need good eats. Feeders attract all sorts of animals you really don’t want like rodents and they in turn attract predators that have to be shot because they get used to a human presence that they normally avoid unless the food source is just too tempting. You also can cause the habitat to become corrupt not only in the immediate area but where ever the birds drop seeds. I watched a camper put up a bird feeder in order to attract song birds. Then mice came in and they damaged their RV. Then the camper stepped out on a Bobcat sleeping on their carpeted steps after a meal of mice. When it awoke it scratched her on her leg bad enough she needed first aid. When the injury was reported to authorities they immediately came and shot the Bobcat. Upset about what had occurred they went to start their motor home and it fortunately didn’t start or burn as much of the wiring had been eaten by the mice nesting near a good food source. When we first started camping we also had a bird feeder a few hundred feet from our camper. It not only brought in birds but turkeys, deer and many other animals. Within a day or two there was pretty much a game trail. When we saw a group of half coyote half dog take down a deer we were concerned but when a large black bear came through following the game trail we took down the feeder and left. Just don’t do it please, for everyone’s sake.
never purposely feed any wild animals for any reason. highdesertranger
I don’t think I have ever seen a prohibition on bird feeders, and lots of traveling people have in particular hummingbird feeders they hang out.

I don’t have a problem with that, and suspect that if these feeders were hazardous to the birds that frequent them there would be rules against them.

That said, feeding scavenging birds or four legged critters of any size or type is not something I would ever do, for all the obvious reasons.
Humming bird feeders usually don’t cause too many problems till larger birds attempt to get a drink as water in the desert attracts many things. Usually the little sugar ants and then larger ants start showing up in your cabinets and outside the lizards get fat and feral dogs chase them around under the RV knocking water and sewer lines breaking or damaging them. Spending several years in an RV in the desert you get to see lots of crazy things. We had a hawk that used a near by bush to ambush the birds using the humming bird feeder as well. Like has been said before it may be illegal in certain areas but anywhere you do it is an open invitation to pests and problems. One other note pets, food and water left outside are very attractive to wild animals so don’t do it even if they are in a pen. A badger can get through about anything and likes fresh meat, just so you know.
If you're in bear country hummingbird feeders will attract them so not a good idea.
I had a problem with a feral cat that would hop the fence, enter the dog door and eat my dogs food!!!

And this was in town.

I few well placed pellets from the BB gun and it decided to wasn't worth it anymore. She started to get a bit gun shy.
(12-05-2020, 08:42 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]never purposely feed any wild animals for any reason.  highdesertranger

Also applies to feral animals.

People have been feeding a feral burro at Bombo Pond, south of Beatty, NV. Instead of being leery of humans, this older, scarred burro approached me. I was wondering if it was going to get aggressive, if I didn't pay a toll. Meanwhile his mare and a young one, were busy munching the naturally available food.

"Pack in, pack out" and "leave no trace" mean exactly that.
I have been told by a old farmer don't turn your livestock into pets, something as big as a cow can really hurt you if it gets to friendly.
(12-06-2020, 12:00 PM)Freelander Wrote: [ -> ]I had a problem with a feral cat..
Feral cats and AZ that is a thing. The policy is TNR which stands for trap neuter and return. So guess what once all is said and done you get the feral cat back.

I wish the birds were protected instead of the feral cats being protected.    -crofter
Pages: 1 2 3