VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Main way you access the internet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-17-2021, 09:45 PM)bullfrog Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine several people with phones don't understand they get more of the photos by turning them horizontally rather than vertically as you would normally hold it as well. While on the road I use my phone due to a lack of the ability to charge my laptop as no 12 volt option is available and the space it takes up plus having to use my phone as a hot spot requires even more power resources.

My most used device when traveling is an iPad. It's a bigger screen than a phone, but very power efficient. It gets 10 hours of real use out of a 40 watt hour battery. (Good Android tablets do about the same.)
Combination: Laptop with a hotspot connection from my phone and a signal booster. I only use my phone for looking stuff up while on the fly.
As a digital nomad who depends on the internet for an income my system has to work.
BTW, very glad to see some upgrades to the site  Smile Thumbs Up
I realize this is pretty much settled, but I can't resist...

1) Isn't there a way to have the web server redirect people on a mobile device to a mobile-friendly version of the site? Maybe CRL & HOWA aren't getting that level of service from their hosts? FWIW, I have no experience with web hosting/design.

2) I was hoping this thread was about what provider people are using. I'm on the list for Starlink bc, well, it's not a mystery to me why that guy blew up his rv RIGHT NEXT TO an AT&T switch station in Nashville last year - and I have one relative who retired from them and another who likely will. They. Are. Bad. (The company, not the relatives). But, their DSL is the best I can do here in rural N. FL. ANYWAY, I was wondering if any nomads/RVers are using Starlink. I understand it's going to be quite latitude-specific, but since I plan to spend as much time as possible (once I go nomad) at about the same lat as LA (high population density), I'm guessing it would work around Blythe/Quartzsite. Anyone?
My Sprint/T-mobile hotspot has kept me in business while traveling through 25 states this past year. Not always strong, many times pretty slow, but it has done me well
Forgot to mention that I had great hotspot connection in Blythe/Quartzsite all winter with Sprint/T-Mobile
As an old gaseous expenditure, my eyes cannot tolerate a laptop of phone.. right now I have a 40" TV as my monitor.. when I got nomad here in a couple of months I will ditch this and go with the 27" monitor.. Wink
I have several unlimited data plans, but I really like my Sprint/T-Mobile plan by Calyx. I'm streaming about 20-GB daily and it works perfect for me. What a deal at $33 a month ($400 a year) too.
(08-14-2021, 01:15 AM)MattInTheHat Wrote: [ -> ]I realize this is pretty much settled, but I can't resist...

1) Isn't there a way to have the web server redirect people on a mobile device to a mobile-friendly version of the site?  Maybe CRL & HOWA aren't getting that level of service from their hosts? FWIW, I have no experience with web hosting/design.

2) ...

I actually really dislike websites that redirect to mobile based on device type (agent string technically speaking). I usually browse on an 11.5 inch tablet, and I want the desktop version of a site. Even on phone I only want a mobile version if I'm in portrait orientation.

It's actually better to base the layout on the browser width. Just query the browser, and if the width is less than X pixels, switch to a narrower layout. This covers phones and tablets in portrait mode, and also covers people who are browsing on a computer and make their browser window skinny to use part of the screen for something else. Many major sites do it this way; you can watch the layout change as you make the browser narrower.
Oops I voted before I understood the underlying reason.
Well the intent is the same anyway.
I use my phone as a hotspot when I'm on my laptop in the van.
But throughout most of the day I do most of my internetting on ye olde iPhone.

That said, I've been making websites off and on for about 25 years. A couple years ago my friend who is an actual pro designer for sites like NYT and such clued me in to mobile first design.
The long and short of it is to use HTML5 and such to make the site look perfect on Android and iPhone. Prioritize touch. Do the Bootstrap 4 or 5 framework so you will have all the current design conventions built in.
Then you can spend a month making tiny tweaks to imporove it on desktop browsers.
At first I thought she had just read some tech article and was repeating it at me.
Nerds do that.
But I tried it on one of my sites and it really is easier and looks better.
There is a good reason. Starting small and then scaling up is easy.
Starting big and scaling down is hard.
I'm not sure how Bootstrap works with MyBB or PHPBB.
Should be just a Dist/Node package in the CSS and Scripts folders.
If it were possible in my van I'd have a big ass computer running three monitors like I did in my house. A graphics tablet, printer, scanner and high speed cable. Ah, there are SOME things I miss about living in a building. So now I use a laptop for 99% of stuff. I hate using my phone for anything on the net.
Pages: 1 2 3