VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Painting Reflectix black on one side
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Will Reflectix in the windows of the van still work if I paint the outside facing black.
I do believe it will work though maybe at a reduced rate? Why not get some black Coroplast (the plastic stuff that looks like cardboard) shape to fit the window and then put the reflectix to that surface. It might work better that way, as the reflectix somewhat breaths and uses the surface structure to be more efficient. The Coroplast will be a denser material thus allowing less light to penetrate either way and the airflow from the top to bottom should help with condensation issues. 

That's a great idea, thanks. I looked up Coroplast and it looks good, but it would be too difficult to store when not in use, in my situation, because my van is just for camping and I only want the windows blocked while I am parked and I can roll up the Reflectix and store it in the small area beside the bed.
No worries, glad to almost help ..
I used a cheap black sheet and spray adhesive. Worked well for a while, but the material is starting to fade after one AZ summer. The reflectix also does not hold its shape as well anymore.

I considered paint, but i assumed that reflecix would flex too much and the paint would flake off, YMMV.
Why does everyone choose black?  Why not cover the windows with an opaque white material?  It seems that would have far less issues with heat. maybe white coroplast painted black on the inside to block light.
The purpose of Reflectix is to reflect sun away from your vehicle, keeping it cooler.  You can paint it black but know that black will absorb heat and make the inside of your vehicle hotter.

Quote:Why does everyone choose black?  Why not cover the windows with an opaque white material?  It seems that would have far less issues with heat. maybe white coroplast painted black on the inside to block light.

I want black on the outside because it blends in with the rest of vehicles on the road that have dark window tint. I live in the city, If I lived in the desert or any low populated area and didn't care about stealth I might go with white.
For me, I chose black for the stealth factor. Unless you look closely, it just looks like dark tint. I didn't want to tint my cargo windows so I wouldn't have issues at night trying to maneuver a larger vehicle.

As for diminishing the effectiveness of reflectix, you kill most of its value at reflecting outside radiant heat when you put it right up to the window. In order for it to be effective, it needs a 1 inch air gap the direction you want it to be effective in. Here in the southwest, blocking the sun is the most important factor, which any color reflectix does, and in the winter, you are mostly trying to reflect whatever heat you have inside to stay inside, and even in it's most useless state, reflectix is equal to R1, which is better than nothing, and you keep the cold glass somewhat isolated from the living area.

So the color you choose for reflectix isn't too important because 90% of its use in RV's has already compromised its maximum usefulness.
One should also be aware of Emissivity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

Black surfaces will absorb more heat, and in the winter will radiate more heat.  Things painted black will radiate the heat within faster than silver.  Opposite ends of the spectrum.

My tinted windows heat up and radiate huge amounts of heat to the interior.  I used to have reflectix in them, but under certain sun angles this was too obvious and screamed van dweller.

I now have cardboard cut outs about 1/2 inch thick which fit tightly into the window frames
I had adhered black construction paper to the exterior, and my previous curtains to the interior. After 3 months the paper had faded to light gray.  I just recently spray painted them black again with flat black high heat paint.

These cardboard cutouts reduce the heat radiating inside a significant amount when in direct sunlight.  I'd say by at least 75%.  The back windows cut outs are in 3 pieces, the side window is 4 pieces.  Removing the panels is simple, and I do remove the smaller 'locking' piece daily to let in some light and reduce the 'cave' factor.  Can't see into the interior from the exterior in the daytime unless one were to put their eyeball to the window, and it is hard to notice the windows are blacked out.  I doubt non van dwellers or those looking for them would ever notice.

[Image: windowshade_zps5b8caddb.jpg]

Around here nobody notices anything unless their phone battery dies.  Freakin Zombies
Pages: 1 2 3