VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: How long have you been a Boondocker--Where is your Favorite Place
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
March 3rd was my 6th anniversary as a full-time Boondocker. By that I mean for the last 6 years I've spent virtually every night sleeping for free on Public land, either National Forrest or BLM. The only time I didn't was when I was with my mom or an my way to my moms and that was about 30 days.

I'm not including my first 6 years of living in a van when I lived in a city as a stealth vandweller, that was different (not better or worse, just different).

So, are you a boondocker and if so how long have you bee doing it?

And, where is your favorite place to camp?

My favorite place is Moab, Utah. It is fantastically gorgeous but it is also very central to some of the most beautiful places anywhere. 300 miles to the West is Leadville, Colorado and some stunning mountain country in-between. About 320 miles to the East is St. George, Utah and all 5 National Parks of southern Utah along the way. Around 330 miles to the south is Flagstaff, AZ and the Grand Canyon NP and just a little further you are at Sedona, AZ, one of the most magical and beautiful places anywhere.

In that distance you can find a comfortable temperature range from April to November and a tremendously varied and stunningly beautiful country where you can camp from 3300 feet to 10,000 feet. And everywhere you go you can find an abundance of free and gorgeous camping.

I just posted some photos from that country on my blog, you may want to check them out.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/lesson...ondocking/

Bob
28 years and the Thompson/Okanagan (if in BC) or the Arizona desert if down south. ..Willy.
Congrats on your 6th anniversary. After reading your upcoming summer itinerary #7 is going to be quite the adventure.
Margie's BIL is retiring this year as a bush pilot in Ak. and I can personally assure you that you're going to be completely enamored with the vast wilderness from the air. (Unfortunately, my last computer crashed with photos that were awe inspiring in the greatest sense.

Moab is one of the most beautiful places in our country. Been up in there several times over the years. Anyone who hasn't experienced it's wonders really needs to go....and take plenty of time to enjoy it.

Boondocking...This last year was partly in the boonies, as well as dry camping during our travels, and a few campgrounds to be closer to Margie's family up in Oregon during our visit.
When I used to travel alone it was 90% boondocking. Since '88 there were a lot of miles and many places far from civilization with only a couple pauses in a house (which doesn't feel satisfying).

This spring I'm taking Margie to see Tombstone, Cochise Stronghold (great camping and I know a waterfall there too). I'd like her to see some of NM and maybe into Cortez, Colo. Back south for winter.
Following spring I'm looking forward to Utah again and I know she'll appreciate it as much as I have.
Only one year! My favorite place is the Imperial Valley and the area around Quartzite. Nice and warm!
3 years

My favorite is right outside the Grand Teton National Park. I have yet to find a more majestic place to boondock

[Image: IMG_6755-682x1024.jpg]
Van Tramp, I'm planning to be at the Tetons this summer. Can you give us some specific campsites with directions! It would be much appreciated!
Bob
It is directly across the hwy from Cunningham Cabin (Forest Rd 30310). There are dozens of sites to choose from along that road and even have a Verizon 3G signal.
I spent most of this winter on Lake Mead outside vegas. Most boondockers seem to head for Government Wash which is great in some ways but also very crowded. I mostly stayed around Crawdad Cove which generally has 2-4 people near the water and 2-4 people near the port-a-pottie about a mile up. Another 2 miles back from the water or on the side roads cut into the hill you can be as alone as you want. Where I am now it's just me and the Coyotes.

Regulations say you can be in the same spot for 14 days then you need to move but this does not seem to be enforced unless you cause problems. There are people who live out here year round.

Great Verizon 4g and even Sprint 3g. 20 minute drive to Henderson which has everything, another 15 minutes to the vegas strip.

You do need to pay to get in but it's only $10 for a one-time pass or $30 for the year. Worth it if (like me) you like to be close to a real city. The pay stations are only staffed during daylight hours so you can sneak in at night if that's your thing.

It's about to get hot here so I'm thinking Utah is next on the list.
GOOD INFORMATION REDUCTO! ! ! ! !
I'm hoping to be boondocking in the near future. I'm currently doing research on light weight travel trailers. There is something I've been wondering about and haven't seen it addressed, although I haven't read all the posts on this site. You mention here and in your book (Bob) that dispersed camping is permitted in almost all national forests, except where specifically noted.  Obviously national forests can cover huge areas. So specifically, If I'm driving along in a national forest in a wooded area with no houses nearby, can I just pull of the road anywhere with my travel trailer and stay there?  Has anyone had experience with this east of the Mississippi where there are probably more people and rangers per sq. mile? Thanks for any input.
Pages: 1 2