VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Where Can I Find Maps Of BLM Land?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Im kinda new to this but it seems like most BLM land is out west. I did a quick google search and do see they have a division and office in midwest and eastern states. I'm looking for BLM land in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan. I don't seem to see any mention of where the land is or maps. Can anyone help me out?
google it by state.......if it doesnt come up.......there is none

the states you mentioned stand a better chance at having National forest land on them or trusts
The BLM does manage some land in the east but it's not opened for boondocking like the western https://www.blm.gov/maps

For national forests go here - http://www.fs.fed.us/locatormap/
I find that Benchmark atlases are the best source of public land maps unless you want only a specific region. The AZ atlas is particularly useful but I also use the WA, OR, ID, NV, UT, NM and CA Benchmark maps. And there is this ultra-useful site: Ultimate Public Campground Project It includes dispersed camping.
Ya I was surprised to learn Indiana Dunes I guess is a national park but they seem to be super strict about camping, doubt you could do boondocking there, shame too cuz its an awesome area minus the nuclear plants and refineries on each side of the beach lol
you have me scratching my head......Indiana Dunes allows Dispersed camping... 14/30 days, I frequent Mt. Baldy when Im out there.

if you consider boondocking or living in your RV for more than 2 weeks in one spot....Then no , there are not to many LTA's outside of the dessert areas.

I frequent the hardest National parks because of being on the East coast...and have yet to be in one that didnt have dispersed camping!!
(03-23-2014, 11:02 AM)Lucky mike Wrote: [ -> ]you have me scratching my head......Indiana Dunes allows Dispersed camping... 14/30 days, I frequent Mt. Baldy when Im out there.

if you consider boondocking or living in your RV for more than 2 weeks in one spot....Then no , there are not to many LTA's outside of the dessert areas.

I frequent the hardest National parks because of being on the East coast...and have yet to be in one that didnt have dispersed camping!!

Wow, that's awesome, every time I've ever looked into camping I've only seen pay camping and it's always full. I'll have to look into that. Do you happen to have any links to maps or know where at the dunes your allowed to camp. Thanks for the info super excited to head out there this spring.

(03-23-2014, 11:02 AM)Lucky mike Wrote: [ -> ]you have me scratching my head......Indiana Dunes allows Dispersed camping... 14/30 days, I frequent Mt. Baldy when Im out there.

You mind sharing some info as far as what exit to get off at or where to camp. Everything I google about the dunes has fees for entrance, camping, etc. Sorry I'm kinda new to the whole boondocking thing so have no idea where to start.

https://www.nps.gov/indu/index.htm
when you do your search or read the maps......Dispersed Camping is what your looking for....not campgrounds or just contact the ranger station for areas open to "Dispersed Camping"

I have several places I park there

Note: I am Disabled and have Handi Tags and the national park amari-pass so they normally dont say anything to me ..and Im not charged admission or day use fees in national parks
After reading a long timers blog, I am grabbing a Nat Geo Adventure Atlas.
Hi Frickinduckies! I bought the National Geographic Adventure Atlas because I read on a blog ( Blond Coyote) that BLM land was marked on the maps. I'm not sure what exactly she was referring to because it's not marked on the maps. It's a good atlas and BLM recreation areas are marked with a little red square but I was hoping for swaths of color across the states.
Pages: 1 2 3