VanDweller Community Forums
This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Share Your Story (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: Seen on the Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. (/showthread.php?tid=10672)

Pages: 1 2 3

This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - pseudo_mccoy - 09-05-2014

And I mean that in a good way. I'm a fan of the occasional midday nap, so its always nice to find a lot with shaded areas. Short of an actual parking structure, this is the best I've found so far.

Looks like they're installing solar panels over most of the lot. Found it last night here in Oceanside, CA. Anyone else see these? I hope it catches on.

[attachment=1389]

[attachment=1388]

[attachment=1391]

[attachment=1390]

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - Patrick46 - 09-05-2014

Our Walmart has a gas station at it. (not sure how common that is)

...but these could run power to the store, and/or be used to 'refill' electric cars.

I'm not much of a fan of Walmarts...however, this does put a point in their column from me. Good to see this. Hopefully, some day, these will be everywhere.

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - Reducto - 09-05-2014

Walmart has always been aggressive in going green when it also benefits their bottom line. They are the reason deodorant no longer comes in cardboard boxes and many other things have reduced packaging. More products fit on the shelf and we have less superfluous cardboard and plastic to throw away. Now they're getting as many subsidies as they can from California and elsewhere for installing solar. The roof of that walmart is probably already covered in panels so they're moving outwards.

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - jeanontheroad - 09-05-2014

Increasing profits, helping the environment, providing welcome shade for customers, proving a shady place for nappers. It sounds like a win - win - win - win to me.

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - OzExpress - 09-05-2014

We hung out in Oceanside for a lot of winters..to sell at the swap meet. Actually lived there too..in a bus with a 20' dragon on the sideSmile
Looked at the great pics, can't say I remember that WalMart..but the trees would have grown a lot since we were there.
The shade for customers..very nice addition.
Times have changed..we are van-travelers now..hope to get to Oceanside again one day.
Loved the State Park in Carlsbad!

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - akrvbob - 09-05-2014

The WalMart in Flagstaff AZ has exactly that setup filled with solar panels.

Both CA and AZ are giving out big rebates for solar investment and when combined with Federal rebates it adds up and smart companies invest the money.

No matter what you think of WalMart, they are smart.
Bob

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - riffraff - 09-05-2014

Everyone should get solar! Especially with the amount of sun in CA and AZ. Well done WalMart.

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - Varmint - 12-08-2015

Been watching a place in Athens, Ohio along State Street just west of Wal-Mart that has a similar setup over their parking lot. These will likely get more common in the future, and I'd think they're grid-tied to reduce their electric bill. Nice to see solar gaining popularity. The only problem I see is that, while government is prattling on about "going green" local municipalities are dragging folks to court for doing so. I guess they just want everyone to pay utility companies to go green, rather than doing it themselves.

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - GrantRobertson - 12-09-2015

The VA hospital in Tucson, AZ has their lots covered in solar panels too.

There is also a bar and pizzeria on 4th Ave. that has solar panels over their lot and roof which provide ALL their electricity needs. While waiting line line to buy a slice of pizza, you can see an animated display that shows how much energy they gathered and used that day.

RE: This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady. - Patrick46 - 12-09-2015

(12-08-2015, 11:44 PM)Varmint Wrote:  The only problem I see is that, while government is prattling on about "going green" local municipalities are dragging folks to court for doing so. I guess they just want everyone to pay utility companies to go green, rather than doing it themselves.

Knowing that many cities are struggling financially just to keep basic services on line (fire, police, sanitation, schools, ect)...I'd bet that many of them would LOVE to install solar for a multitude of uses, but simply lack the money to do so. (Installing solar IS a huge financial undertaking!!)