VanDweller Community Forums
Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and Forum Help (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Vandwelling topics that don't fit in other areas (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] (/showthread.php?tid=14335)

Pages: 1 2 3

Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - highdesertranger - 08-28-2015

I don't know if there are any old backpackers here but in the 60's and 70's the go to backpack guru was a guy named Colin Fletcher ... highdesertranger
btw his books are great reads.

RE: Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag? - Starbuck - 08-28-2015

... PS Colin Fletcher is the man!

kelly

Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - ccbreder - 08-28-2015

Colin was my comrade for our hike on the Appalachian Trail. 1970 some.

RE: Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag? - highdesertranger - 08-29-2015

so there are some old backpackers here. good to know. boy cc that would have been cool. anybody read any of his books? highdesertranger

RE: Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag? - Optimistic Paranoid - 08-29-2015

(08-29-2015, 05:25 PM)highdesertranger Wrote:  so there are some old backpackers here.  good to know.  boy cc that would have been cool.  anybody read any of his books?  oh I know all about synthetics being superior in wet conditions but most people here are inside a vehicle.  highdesertranger

I never got into the backpacking thing.  I did read his book The Complete Walker, and adapted some of his advice to camping off the back of my motorcycle, where both the weight and the space was tight.  I spent the Bicentenial Weekend visiting the Saratoga Battlefield and Fort Ticonderoga with that setup, and camped around Maine another time.

Oh, and I enjoyed his writing so much I eventually read The Man Who Walked Through Time.

You know, this thread inspired me to check him out on Amazon.  I hadn't heard of The Thousand Mile Summer before.  I think I'll order it.  Thanks for mentioning him.

Regards
John

RE: Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag? - highdesertranger - 08-29-2015

"The Thousand Mile Summer" is a great read, he walked the backbone of California from Mexico to Oregon along the eastern border. this is/was my stomping ground so I really related. I was in high school when I read it the first time, I couldn't relate to most of my classes but I couldn't put that book down. I think we have derailed this thread. highdesertranger

RE: Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - highdesertranger - 08-29-2015

thanks moderator or whoever split this off. as I was typing that last reply I had to go back and read what the thread was about. at that point I knew a major derail was going on. highdesertranger

RE: Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - gsfish - 08-29-2015

I read his books back in the early 70's also. I joined REI back then too, member 410711, hard to find a real number on current number of members but I saw an >7M number from a few years ago. Their catalog used to be printed on news print and had line drawings of the merchandise. The slicker that they got and the more interested in fashion the less I was interested in them. Wish I had kept some of those early catalogs now. I still have my 4o + year old Kelty pack stashed away and it is amazing how much things have advanced over the years.

Guy

RE: Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - WriterMs - 08-29-2015

I thought for a moment I was in the Twilight Zone with the replies. And then I see the moderator split if off for you. LOL, HDR, I thought you were having a forum thread flashback.

I read The Complete Hiker in the late 80s and it moved me further along the path of living in a state where I could camp in the wilds. That turned out to be in Montana for the 90s.

I'm putting some of his other books on my reading list for my travels next year.

RE: Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag] - Starbuck - 08-29-2015

I think I had portions of the Complete Hiker memorized and read a number of his other books (yes, I did cut my toothbrush in half). In the mid ‘70s, the REI catalogue had these great sidebars that would explain the pros and cons of different types of equipment and products that were super informative, especially for an ignorant 18 yr old.  As Guy mentions, the technology has really advanced but I feel overall quality has gone way down. I still have a serviceable puffy coat and wool jacket from the late ‘70s. These days, I am lucky to get a year or two before outerwear starts to disintegrate and at this age I am a lot less abusive to my clothing (and body).

kelly