VanDweller Community Forums
Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Reviews and Recommendations (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Forum: Overnight Parking Reviews (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep (/showthread.php?tid=17410)

Pages: 1 2

Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Mobilesport - 04-20-2016

It seems hard to find a place to park where i can get there earlier like 10pm.
Most places it seems you have to show up late and leave early, so Im only getting 4----5 hours a sleep and its messing me up.
I usually get parked about 12:30 or 1am
I set my alarm for say 6 am and then got to move to different location and then lay down and rest for about a hour and then go to work at 7:30 am.
Anybody dealing with this? 
Btw sleeping less then 8 hours is not a option for me , most my life I would stay up 2 --3 days at a time or sleep every other day other times , I would stay up and mod my vehicle. 
I'm 47 now and if I stay up its different then it used to be , I have to sleep 8 hours and eat healthy , I really feel the difference when I do.

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - ahh_me2 - 04-20-2016

I hear ya.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation, in that I have to be up and out of my spot by 5:45 am.
I've never gotten up early like that ever!
I am lucky that I can probably get to bed around 10 pm, I find it is usually more like 11pm or 11:30 that I can finally shut down for the night.
Basically I park in a gated industrial compound, although both gates are not always locked, and I do have a key to the gate since I work in the building.

I guess I get 5-1/2 to 6 hrs sleep a night, and I do find a nap late afternoon, 20- 40 mins, helps big time.

I would really love to be able to sleep in in the morning, but I haven't found the place for it yet.

BTW, I'm early 50's and yeah, it's a different game from my youth! Ha

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - TMG51 - 04-20-2016

How is it you're getting chased out of places in 4-5 hours? I've said it before, but I never plan ahead and I've never been woken up. And this is after being in San Diego for two months where it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle and all the lots are posted against it. I use common sense and sleep whenever I want. Where are you parking?

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Yogidog - 04-21-2016

It is really hard when night after night that happens. I am lucky the woods are only 15/min away, but I had a night from hell at Walmart parking lot a few nights ago. Horrible to go all day after nights .like that.

I don't know if u would be comfortable saying what area u are in, people may have ideas. Hope it gets better.

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Mobilesport - 04-21-2016

(04-20-2016, 10:35 PM)TMG51 Wrote:  How is it you're getting chased out of places in 4-5 hours? I've said it before, but I never plan ahead and I've never been woken up. And this is after being in San Diego for two months where it's illegal to sleep in a vehicle and all the lots are posted against it. I use common sense and sleep whenever I want. Where are you parking?

Im not getting chased out , I don't get hassled because I arrive late and leave early , that's my problem , I have to arrive late and leave early ,
I think its especially important to leave early , There's only but so many good parking places .
I've lost a few good parking spots by sleeping in one or two hours , buissness owner or manager shows up and wondering what I'm doing there , at that point I might as well be camped in front of somebody's residents  creating that same uncomfortable feeling thats going to make them report it.

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - ilovemyvan - 04-22-2016

I don't know if that would work for you but years ago when we were urban parking we would find nice neighborhood with lots of vehicles parked on the street. On these kind of places no one knows what car belongs to who (or is it whom Tongue ). We'd get there around 9pm and leave around 6am. We were always careful not to use lights unless necessary and not for long. Your city might have this kind of neighborhoods.

It sucks not to be able to sleep well.

Nicole

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Raven+Squid - 04-22-2016

Avoid using your computer/ mobile device when your laying down before bed too. The light from the screen tricks your brain into thinking there is daylight and its more difficult to fall asleep. That way it may be easier to fall asleep more quickly when you do get parked and settled for the night.

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - USExplorer - 04-26-2016

Strange, I've been car camping in many different settings across the USA and never had that problem. More likely for me is finding myself in a small town that rolls up its sidewalks at 7 pm, causing me to go to sleep early out of boredom. In those towns the only cars cruising around past 10 pm belong to the police department.

What circumstance prevents you from parking for the night around, say, 9 pm and entering dreamland shortly thereafter? It would seem crawling around a neighborhood late at night looking for a place to curb camp would be more likely to arouse suspicion than crawling in the evening and parking just as dark falls.

Alas, if your rig resembles that of a Dust Bowl migrant and you sleep naked on the roof, you will be unwelcome in most places and will have to play the cat and mouse game in dark parking lots and trash-filled alleys. But why not look a little more low-key, so that an overworked manager does not become so offended by your presence that (s)he drops everything to chase you off?

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Mobilesport - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 02:36 PM)USExplorer Wrote:  Strange, I've been car camping in many different settings across the USA and never had that problem. More likely for me is finding myself in a small town that rolls up its sidewalks at 7 pm, causing me to go to sleep early out of boredom. In those towns the only cars cruising around past 10 pm belong to the police department.

What circumstance prevents you from parking for the night around, say, 9 pm and entering dreamland shortly thereafter? It would seem crawling around a neighborhood late at night looking for a place to curb camp would be more likely to arouse suspicion than crawling in the evening and parking just as dark falls.

Alas, if your rig resembles that of a Dust Bowl migrant and you sleep naked on the roof, you will be unwelcome in most places and will have to play the cat and mouse game in dark parking lots and trash-filled alleys. But why not look a little more low-key, so that an overworked manager does not become so offended by your presence that (s)he drops everything to chase you off?

I stay in about a 2 mile radius from were I work  only but so many spots and I don't want to risk losing these close spots .
I think the more you travel the easier to find spots.

RE: Trouble getting 8 hours of sleep - Reducto - 04-26-2016

I keep hearing people say they need to arrive super late/move early in the morning but I've never done that and never had a problem. When I have been hassled it's been shortly after I parked, not 6+ hours later.

Find a spot where it's plausible for someone to be parked all day and nobody is freaking out about the last good spot being taken, such as across the street from an apartment complex. Many people have a second car they keep there or they have a non-standard work schedule.