VanDweller Community Forums
CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Links (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days (/showthread.php?tid=28477)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - wanderin.pat - 09-16-2018

(09-15-2018, 02:36 PM)Jack Wrote:  Personally, I enjoy several of the van life youtube channels.  It's a matter of finding the ones that resonate with you.  

As for Carolyn, I think she's kind, sincere, fun and tells great stories!  When she sticks to van life topics, she's a hoot!  When she gets personal and political I simply turn her off because we wouldn't get along for a single minute.  But I wouldn't dream of saying anything about it because I would never attack her on her own channel, or frustrate the experience of her 78,161 subscribers.

You make a good point.  I personally simply don't watch stuff that I'm not interested in.  I rarely subscribe to anybody's channel.  And there's more of those than those I DO watch.  

Just yesterday, I watched a video about fixing my Champion 2000i generator.  The author showed me a component I didn't know was there; and I now have it running.  

Regards,

WP

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - GraceinMotion - 09-16-2018

Anyone remember "The Prisoner" TV show? I feel like I live in that environment sometimes. Seems like every couple of weeks I notice a new CCTV camera in my city. Whenever I see someone walking around pointing a phone or camera in my direction, I think about that show. And don't talk to me about drones! I find it odd that people who claim to be introverts and express a desire to escape society walk around in public recording their daily lives and then publish it for the whole world to see. It's actually kinda creepy, but is becoming so mainstream most people don't give it a second thought.

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - travelaround - 09-23-2018

There are many reasons to be involved in making YouTube videos. My Booktube channel started because I wanted to develop speaking skills. Also, as a retired person, I know that one of the best ways to keep your mind healthy is to keep learning new things. Video making is a challenge for me. Speaking skills have developed radically from when I started (I was so timid at first!)

My YouTube channels also serve as a way to leave a record of my life for my descendants. I have grandchildren I'll never meet or see - and I think it would be a happy thing for them to someday discover their grandmother left a video archive. I have four channels now - and none of them are doing phenomenally well, and none can be monetized, but this is my hobby and it pleases me to be able to share a video.

Also, I'm a single person, and this gives me a way to communicate with others . . . and especially with my Booktube channel, I've developed friendships with other Booktubers. It is a great YouTube community for those who love reading and making videos.

For those who don't like YouTube videos, don't watch them... that's fine, but don't think you know all the motivations people have for making the videos because ... everyone's motivations are different, and most people aren't making money doing this.

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - wanderin.pat - 09-23-2018

(09-23-2018, 02:47 AM)travelaround Wrote:  For those who don't like YouTube videos, don't watch them... that's fine, but don't think you know all the motivations people have for making the videos because ... everyone's motivations are different, and most people aren't making money doing this.

You make a lot of good points.  Your reasons for having a channel are, FWIW, great ones as far as I'm concerned.  I think you're right , most people are NOT making money doing it.  But some are, and some are putting up a lot of BS to generate traffic.  You're right. We all have to be responsible for our own actions.  If we don't like something, ignore the clickbait and don't watch it.  

Regards, 

WP

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - Desertthorn - 09-21-2019

I have watched Carolyn  for about 2 years, mostly to live vicariously as our RV sits in the yard getting dusty.  Family just cant stay healthy.  I also love watching Panda Monium, The Northwoodsman1, and Rusty78609. But my absolute favorite is Slim Potatohead who I have watched and rewatched his videos for the past year and so enjoy the photography, the hints and the travel.

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - LoveCareThinkDo - 09-22-2019

I really like Carolyn. She is really the kind of human that I would want to have as a friend, or maybe a relationship with (if I did that kinda thing any more). However, I bought her book and, to be honest, I found it to be of little actual value to me. 

When you get right down to it, her "secrets" were:

That's all good advice, but it doesn't justify writing a whole book that you charge money for. Most of it is things that other people cannot replicate. Though, it is true to the title: It is how she got a lot of subscribers. The book doesn't really go into exactly how she used those marketing skills to decide to do one thing over another. I really got the feeling that she used her marketing skills, outside of her channel, to get people to watch her channel. Though she doesn't say how. 

In the end, I unsubscribed from her channel. Not because I stopped liking her. Just because I am not in her niche market. I usually watch YouTube to either learn something, or to stay informed. I don't care too much about watching someone else simply narrate their day. And I absolutely hate it when someone just turns on a camera and talks while they are driving around, whether the camera is pointed at them or the "scenery" out their windshield. But that's just my preference. Other people obviously love that stuff.

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - Qxxx - 09-22-2019

(09-22-2019, 12:50 PM)LoveCareThinkDo Wrote:  When you get right down to it, her "secrets" were:
  • Already have a large following in other social media.
  • Already have a large existing client list.
  • Already be an expert at marketing.
  • Follow the standard YouTube advice of playing to a niche market of people who want to live vicariously though you.
  • Be "authentic." Though, there are many definitions of what that really is. Carolyn really does come across as authentic, in her videos. But most successful YouTubers are as authentic as I am the king of England.
also ... put yourself in harm's way just a bit, cause people love that. When she was in Alaska, she took a hike along a valley a few hundred feet from a grizzly, and kept saying "stay there Mr Grizzly, don't bother me and I won't bother you". Good advice :-).

Actually, I'm not dissing Carolyn, I watch her all the time. The gal is 99% solo traveler, and has moxie. Currently hiking on the PCT. I briefly ran into her last winter in Ehrenberg, she was very sweet, asked me where I was from, and she gave me a signed postcard.

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - owl - 09-23-2019

I don't like or dislike everyone I meet in daily life, I am glad I had the chance to meet them. That's pretty much the way I feel about Youtube. The moment they post that video is an invitation to me to participate if I so choose. I'm blown away that some can have a million and a half subscribers and I can't get through a few minutes without being completely bored. That is exactly the point of Youtube, something for everyone.

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - Qxxx - 09-25-2019

Cool, Carolyn has now completely 400 miles on the PCT, with just her own determination and the bears to rely on. I hope she gets to her destination before the snows come. 400 miles, my feet hurt to even think of it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfqr5I-0RKK8Ha1PeKi0_ig/videos

RE: CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days - Dingfelder - 05-09-2020

I'm the opposite, free2enjoy. I find Carolyn nice enough, but enjoy her earlier videos much more, where she gave solid information. Now I feel she drags her videos out tremendously, and reliably buries the ostensible "subject" of videos deep inside, well past the talking about her dog and her feelings and random observations, often even dragging out and repeating those as well.

Her best videos stuck to the subject and if they got at her feelings, didn't make them the true centerpiece unless that was explicitly what the video was about. And even then, most weren't so random. Or long. I think she has dropped the ball in a big way and don't think it's accidental.