VanDweller Community Forums
Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Life On The Road (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Food & Cooking (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Make ice in 110v mini freezer? (/showthread.php?tid=29808)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - Watch_Cowspiracy - 02-24-2018

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 1 cubic foot freezer, an inverter (which I need anyway), and a couple of coolers. This way, I can make ice in the freezer, shut it off, put the ice in the coolers and thereby save money on 12 volt compressor coolers and have more room without having to buy ice. 
The freezer is rated at 80 watts, so no worries in terms of power draw, and I'd only need to run it a few times a week.

Has anyone done this? Would it really save money or is it just a pipedream?

RE: Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - NoMadYesHappy - 02-24-2018

No expert here, but I would think that would be less efficient.  Especially to phase water into ice (something like 700 times more energy to go from 33 to 32 degrees)... might be better to just spend the energy on a cooler.   ...???...

RE: Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - Watch_Cowspiracy - 02-24-2018

I'm not too concerned with being energy efficient. A 100 watt panel should run the thing just fine and if it's a cloudy day there would still be plenty of juice in the batteries. I'm more concernes about the total cost. A teeny tiny 12 volt cooler would cost me at least $400 whereas this freezer is a hundred bucks and normal coolers (which would give me loads more space) are super cheap.

RE: Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - slow2day - 02-24-2018

I've thought of the same thing but using a portable ice maker. They're about $100-$150.

This link shows one that is 120 watts. If you run a genset say 5 hours charging batteries, you could make 5 lbs of ice at the same time. Or solar:

https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Portable-Maker-Machine-Counter/dp/B071J2LSQS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519530598&sr=8-3&keywords=ice+maker

I thought about that too. After searching this forum and other sources, it seems like those icemakers would be perfect but they're designed to make ice to cool drinks quickly. Meaning that they make small ice that melts quickly, which wouldn't be so good for storing in a cooler.

A mini-freezer plus a couple of coolers would take up a lot of room.

A quick glance at 1.1cuft freezer at WM shows dimensions of 17x20x21.

True dat. Do you think it would be too much for a van plus a cargo trailer?

Depends on how big the trailer is and what else you're carrying.

RE: Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - jimindenver - 02-25-2018

(02-24-2018, 09:45 PM)Watch_Cowspiracy Wrote:  I'm not too concerned with being energy efficient. A 100 watt panel should run the thing just fine and if it's a cloudy day there would still be plenty of juice in the batteries. I'm more concernes about the total cost. A teeny tiny 12 volt cooler would cost me at least $400 whereas this freezer is a hundred bucks and normal coolers (which would give me loads more space) are super cheap.

100 watt panel? I see many batteries in your future. That freezer is going to have to be run off of a inverter, have to be run at night and it will run a lot trying to freeze water filling it especially if you want it hard frozen.

Make ice in 110v mini freezer? - John61CT - 02-25-2018

Yes even a much more efficient 12V compressor fridge requires more panel than that unless you live somewhere it's always sunny.

And 200+AH true deep cycle bank to get over the cloudy days.

Without any other loads, like screen devices, fan etc.

So putting in such a thirsty fridge makes little sense unless you have room for lots of panels and budget for a very robust energy system.

Like 25AH / day vs 60-80+

But yes it can be done, for me I think it's worth saving up for more a efficient 12V compressor unit, can sometimes find bargains.