VanDweller Community Forums
considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Market Place (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Thread: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. (/showthread.php?tid=30137)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - safarivan - 03-15-2018

we always had dirtbikes so never got into the 4WD truck stuff but lots of them were around. couldnt go where we went offroad no matter how good.

a couple of old photos from back then

almost all the photos he took back then are on slides, even some I took with his camera are on slides and I dont know a good way to get those onto the PC but here is one he had just got, it was almost brand new in this pic. Im not sure what year this is but it was early '80s i think.

thatsa '56 chevy frame in front of it during a resto-mod.
[attachment=19262]

here is a good one of the very popular GodFather Vans tire cover. Bill was his name, he sold out to Hal, then opened another custom shop called wild willies but this was after the van scene died out.
[attachment=19263]

this was Dads last van he built from scratch too, just bought the dealer customs for years after that but they were actually pretty good by then and then the conversion companies started doing it.

cant even count how many vans Dad went through but they were fun. another great memory was him taking me and my gang to the skateboard park in one, it was wall to wall carpet but no furnishings and no seatblets back then and he was doing powerslides and slamming on the brakes like a maniac making us bounce off the walls and stuff! LOL!

I still have the rims on that frame in the photo.

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - safarivan - 03-16-2018

but what Ive been thinking about besides just getting more into the outfitting work is a private network and when i mentioned 'storage vehicle' I was referring to boondockers

I just see the outfitting and related goods/services as ways to get there. Ive been getting some really good ideas i think since participating here. I might have a few things to offer with special products for van and other vehicle dwellers probably need more than want before long. the portable kitchen is one, prefabbed, modular, cabinetry that anyone with a screwdriver and one had can assemble and stuff like that.

stuff that people in need can get without paying corporational type price tags or being taken advantage of by people who are too close minded to see the value in vanlife.

really just bouncing ideas around in this wonderful echo chamber here. in my newcomers post I wrote that I havnt participated in social media very much at all ever so its kinda nice to be able to here.

so thanks for that and also for letting this thread roll on a bit too.

anyone have any good ideas to share?

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - Van Mama Wannabe - 03-16-2018

Safarivan, What region of the country are you in?

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - safarivan - 03-16-2018

(03-16-2018, 08:03 PM)Van Mama Wannabe Wrote:  Safarivan, What region of the country are you in?

Im on the south eastern territory most of the time.

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - echoscout - 05-10-2018

(03-16-2018, 12:12 AM)safarivan Wrote:   the portable kitchen is one, prefabbed, modular, cabinetry that anyone with a screwdriver and one had can assemble and stuff like that.
i've been searching for something like this.  for those of us that can swing a hammer but not hit the nail - pods, and pre-cut RTA stuff would be fabulous.  i've found it very difficult to find a 'builder' for my van.  i have the layout ready, and all the parts, etc. (including solar) but i need assistance to build and i'm willing to pay a reasonable price

considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - John61CT - 05-10-2018

Around here a reasonable price would be $60-80 an hour, and that's them fitting you in around their big-job customers.

All the known-good chippies are now booked through October, all that's left are mostly unreliable fly-by-nighties or book through Home Depot.

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - echoscout - 05-11-2018

the hourly rate i was hoping for was around $60 -- the issue is finding someone.  this wouldn't be for a complete build though.  i'd do some of the grunt work (insulation, etc.) but it's the wood framing that i'm looking for.

considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - John61CT - 05-14-2018

So get your design tightly spec'd and drawn, then try advertising on CL for a "handyman / carpenter", without giving any personal details use a burner.

Just don't expect sober professionalism 8-)

Meet in a fast food joint to check them out. Ideally work location separate from your home.

If you can provide the tools you can offer a cheaper rate, or maybe luck into a skilled guy going through a temporary crisis.

RE: considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - echoscout - 05-14-2018

to be honest - i wouldn't want to work with someone i had to take that many precautions with -- a burner?  sober professionalism?  i think i'll continue searching for some lol

considering a private business venture outfitting, Vans, RVs, and trailers.. - John61CT - 05-14-2018

I live near major population centers, have little kids and am more cautious than most.

All depends on your area.