VanDweller Community Forums
Good morning - Printable Version

+- VanDweller Community Forums (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums)
+-- Forum: VanDweller Community Resources (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic and Chit-Chat (https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Good morning (/showthread.php?tid=32006)

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 11-25-2019

(11-24-2019, 09:55 PM)travelaround Wrote:  ... With the propane, I'm supposed to store it outside. How?.....
You are doing a build. You can cut through the exterior wall of the van and/or your cargo trailer and install a vented propane box. The metal, fire resistant, airtight to the interior, box is in the interior but only a fitting for attaching a hose or metal gas line is accessible from the interior. The access to the bottle is a louvered door on the exterior of the van.

You can find used, vented propane boxes at RV surplus companies. I know there are several such places in California but you will need to get recommendations from people who have dealt with those companies. Then call on the phone and ask if they have any small vented propane cabinets and what are the dimensions. Ask them to email a photo.

If you don't know what they look like and how they are used just go and visit and RV dealer and look at some of the vans and small RVs. Or else ask people who have done this to share information with you. As I have never installed one I won't presume to give installation advice other than it is basically cutting a hole through the wall of the correct size and using a proper gasket seal to make it water tight. Of course there is also the task of making sure everything works correctly and safely for the bottle including the hold down straps inside of the compartment.

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 11-25-2019

This is the first I've heard of a vented propane box attached to a van. I will look into that. I have several reasons to visit the RV repair place now. I keep my green propane canisters in the boxes attached to the front of my cargo trailer but also bought the hose attachment in case I want to set up a larger propane tank. However I don't have the cargo trailer with me most of the time. It is 1:44 am... I I'll try the induction cook stove in the morning. The insulation I've installed makes a huge difference in the winter liability of this van.

RE: Good morning - SheketEchad - 11-25-2019

Hi Dean and Buster! It's clear skies and 45 in Q this early morning.

Happy Monday and safe travels to all (•‿•)

RE: Good morning - B and C - 11-25-2019

Good morning. Where is Dean anyway? He hasn't posted in a while. I hope he got on the road, it was supposed to happen in October.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 11-25-2019

(11-25-2019, 03:47 AM)travelaround Wrote:  This is the first I've heard of a vented propane box attached to a van. I will look into that. I have several reasons to visit the RV repair place now. I keep my green propane canisters in the boxes attached to the front of my cargo trailer but also bought the hose attachment in case I want to set up a larger propane tank. However I don't have the cargo trailer with me most of the time. It is 1:44 am... I I'll try the induction cook stove in the morning. The insulation I've installed makes a huge difference in the winter liability of this van.
if you have room under your van you could have this tank setup installed. https://www.vanlifeoutfitters.com/installing-a-propane-tank-underneath-a-promaster-van-with-remote-fill-kit/

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 11-25-2019

Meant to say "WINTER VIABILITY" not liability. Propane under van looks good. It is expected to drop to 14 degrees at night later this week. I hope weather reports are wrong... that it will just rain. I'd take a vacation south for a few days but my daughter will be here next weekend.. snow or no snow. They want to get out of the North Idaho winter. They've been living in a skoolie and are just kind of over it now.

RE: Good morning - crofter - 11-25-2019

Western OR is supposed to get a 'bomb cyclone' this week with the worst on Tuesday. Today we had pea size hail and I expect freezing conditions tonight altho not forecast. Cell service is now bad and I am standing in the street to send this. Time to hunker down.  -crofter

RE: Good morning - travelaround - 11-26-2019

Snow.

RE: Good morning - maki2 - 11-26-2019

(11-26-2019, 10:46 AM)travelaround Wrote:  Snow.
maybe you should have wintered over in Seattle. Tongue  Partly sunny today and for the next 4 days. But it will get down just below freezing in some parts of town. Not right where I am as though . I am right next to Puget Sound and the water is close enough to modify the air temperature a couple of degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I have a little cube heater in my trailer and my trailer is insulated so I will still be able to work inside it finishing up various things on the build.

RE: Good morning - Qxxx - 11-26-2019

Good morning Dean and Buster, we're getting snow and 10F here this week, how are you?